Keyhole Gardens (how to & design)

Reaction score

The structure of the keyhole gardens is to create a circular compost pile. Around the compost, soil is to be surrounded in a U shape built up using stacked rocks or another barrier to hold the soil around the compost. As rain falls through the compost, the nitrogen and other minerals from the compost will be slowly released like a liquid fertilizer into the soil.
The first step in making a keyhole garden is either making the cylindrical compost hole with mesh, wire, or some kind of fencing.
Secondly, make the outer frame with bricks, rocks, wood, or other materials to contain the soil. Shape the frame like a U so that you can walk in the space.
Third, lay down cardboard at the bottom of the garden to suppress weeds.
Fourth, begin by adding soil in the garden, and fill the compost cage with food scraps.

Below are examples of the many ways gardeners have made keyhole gardens.

libertygarden.us

libertygarden.us

university of bristol

flickr.com

inhabitat.com

vcmga.org

almostancientpots.com

keyholefarm.com

vitagardens.com

pinterest.com

vermicomposters.ning.com

niftyhomestead.com

niftyhomestead.com

sandiegouniontribune.com

2XcWvsQ.jpg

imgur

-Cassie K
Original post @ Keyhole Gardens (how to & design)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Fascinating. I have a compost bin and whilst the soil is great it takes time to "make" and awkward to access. This keyhoe design i find appealing because of it's practicality. You just keep topping it up and it feeds your veggies if i understand correctly No stirring, no waiting.and it looks good to boot(y). Thanks Cassie K. You've got me thinking:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
That's a great idea! I love it. Put heavy feeders toward the center, and light feeders toward the outside. You'd have a million worms, too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
An interesting idea. One of many ways of building a raised bed. The biggest advantagehere is it should require less movement of compost. Anything that makes the addition and return of organic matter to the soil easier will help get more people to do it. Eventually some compost should still be added to mulch the soil surface.
The biggest danger here is that if the compost is too hot or goes 'off', anaerobic or otherwise, it is right next to the crops.
If the gardener felt confident in using a long-handle shovel to place the new composting material, the notch could be eliminated for better use of space.

Ask a Question