Japanese Maple needs to be moved

Reaction score
Country
United States
The previous owners planted a 'foundation' plant that is very cool looking. It was pretty small - maybe 30". Since they planted it as a foundation plant, I figured it would stay fairly small.

Then I looked it up.

It is a Japanese Maple. Very cool, but its now been 4 years, and it's close to 6' tall now. I've read they can get 10-30' tall, but that some can be as small as 2'. Obviously, this is not one of the latter. It's clearly in the wrong place, but I do enjoy it.

Has anyone had any success transplanting a Japanese Maple that is already this big? Or should I just take it out and be done with it. I guess I could try pruning it to make it stay small, but I've read that isn't very successful at keeping it's form.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please post a picture. It would be good to see the tree's shape and possibly identify the cultivar.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please post a picture. It would be good to see the tree's shape and possibly identify the cultivar.
The mobile app "Picture This" said it is Acer palmatum. This picture was taken in June 2021.

Japanese Maple.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The leaves look somewhat laciniate so it might be a cultivar that stays less than full-sized.

In any case, it can be pruned to be kept at a certain height and have a graceful shape. Just remove the tallest branches by making thinning cuts back to branch junctions. Don't make any blunt end cuts. After selecting the new tallest branches, go down the tree judging the other branches on their placement and proportions. Of course, remove any dead wood as well.
Do this same pruning regime every Winter, or at least every Winter that it is needed,

Ask a Question