Would a CA buckeye harm a Japanese maple?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Japanese maple in a large outdoor pot that has been in distress since last summer. just last week, a plant has sprouted in that same pot that I believe is a CA buckeye, which I've heard is toxic. could that be what's harming the maple tree or can these 2 plants live side by side?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The seeds of all Horse-chestnuts including California Buckeye (Aesculus californica) are toxic to vertebrates if eaten,
but there would not be any significant, allelopathic effect from a germinating buckeye seed on an already established tree.
Besides the timing is wrong. The maple was ailing since last Summer and The buckeye sprouted last week.

It is true that if your Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) is ailing in its container (rootbound? root rot?, who knows?), any other large plant competing for root space will probably hasten its demise. If you want to troubleshoot what might be wrong with the maple, describe its growing conditions and post a pic.

California Buckeye is a beautiful native tree, and better adapted to our Mediterranean climate than Japanese Maple anyway. If you want to save both trees, carefully transplant the Buckeye seedling to its own container, or in the ground ...or, if the maple really is on its way out, just leave the buckeye where it is.

Fun Fact: Both Buckeyes (Aesculus) and Maples (Acer) were formerly each in their own small families, Hippcastanaceae and Aceraceae, respectively, but modern phylogenetics has since shown it fit to include them both as members of the Soapberry family (Sapindaceae).

Reaction score
Country
United States
thanks so much for this helpful response! I think I'll keep the two trees separate since both have potential to be magnificent. good idea about transplanting the buckeye.

the Japanese maple I think went a long time in the drought without water apparently due to a faulty sprinkler system. and I'm not sure why it was planted in a pot in the first place. its leaves withered and some still hang from their branches but the tree now is mostly bare yet showing a few promising signs of new buds. I don't want this new buckeye sprout to impede its return to health.

I'm very much a non expert and don't know much about plants other than that I want them to thrive. thanks again for the advice.

Ask a Question