Will the Herbicide I need (2,4 D Broadleaf) Harm Our Ornamental Cherry Tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our garden has become overrun with wild onion (Allium canadense), and while we are reluctant to use any herbicide, we have about given up on removing them by hand. One of the complications with removing them by hand is that many of the wild onion bulbs are under roots of an ornamental cherry tree that we do not want to harm.

The recommended herbicide to get rid of the Allium is a 2,4-D Broadleaf type. Our concern is that the herbicide will harm the cherry tree. Does anyone know if it will?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I find glyphosate very effective with wild onion......a friend had this growing in her lavendar hedge. Careful it will kill everything it touches. Where the allium was too near the lavendar I hand painted and kept it apart from the lavendar. The odd onion does still appear .....at this time of year....but a repeat treatment will control them
Glyphosate does not harm the soil and is neutralised with it. It only works on green tissue not wood. (We live and learn re pesticides, weedkillees, chemicals but so far glyohosate is safe)
SM Jeff, I would use glyphosate under your cherry tree

Ask a Question