Japanese Maple Identification

Reaction score
Country
United States
... I received my Autumn Moon Maple order (tag reads Full Moon Maple - Acer shirasawanum ‘Aureum’).

Can someone please help in identifying this plant?

Attachments

• IMG_7434.jpg
    IMG_7434.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant looks like what the label claims it to be. I believe it is already properly identified.

You have a wonderful plant on your hands. Golden Full Moon Maple (Acer shirasawanum ‘Aureum’) is one of my favourite Japanese Maples. It is a different species than most of the common Japanese Maples (Acer palmatum). Older sources may list the Full Moon Maple as Acer japonicum, but recent taxonomy has separated the two species.

Care is similar to other Japanese Maples, though the pale leaves of the 'Aureum' form may benefit from a bit more shade.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Marck! Ironically, I wanted the Aureum but they were "sold out," so I ordered the Autumn Moon.
... it was difficult for me to categorize the plant since it was in bad shape from the unwise decision to have it shipped, in August.

Ultimately, I'm glad I got what I wanted ... and as for the leaves it's 'wait 'til next year!'

Ask a Question