Japanese maple - fork tree

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
I have japanese maple tree. My question is can i prune one side of fork on trunk and leave one (higher, strojger and more horizontal)?
What are possible negative effects and if its safe is the best time to do this beginning of spring?
20211106_115623.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

Yes, but leave it until December.
But I'd leave it.
You could "train it" by attaching a cord to the right branch and putting it under tension, pulling it gently to the right to a stake.Then shortening the cord, bit by bit over a few months from about March. It will than have adopted its new position.
Then with a bit of pruning you could have two symetrical branches, which I think would make it more attractive.

Reaction score
Country
Bosnia And Herzegovina
Thanks for fast reply.
Im already doing it with cord. Probably ill leave it but i should shorten that diagonal branch so i have that one horizonal leader? Or thats just matter of taste.
What confuse me is your suggestion to prune it on december. Isnt too cold for doing it. Especially for my place 1100 meters above sea

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I couldn't work out which country in which you live. The idea is that you prune these when they are dormant but before or after any freezing weather. I'd leave it apart from the straightening up until you can see what it's like in leaf.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would cut the left trunk at the first horizontal branch and shape from there. Double leaders are structurally weak and can split apart in the future, making for a weirdly shaped tree that may not recover completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I would cut the left trunk at the first horizontal branch and shape from there. Double leaders are structurally weak and can split apart in the future, making for a weirdly shaped tree that may not recover completely.

That's possible, But the kids brought home from school a similar shaped little silver birch in the Government sponsored "Plant a tree in '73" initiative. It lasted 25 years in that form. I removed it as the roots were starting to rot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

I agree with pruning your Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) in Winter when dormant.

I think it would be good to shorten one of the those two main stems. Don't remove it completely, but shorten it so that it is less than half as tall as the main branch. This will allow the taller branch to become apically dominant.

Ask a Question