Need help propagating weeping red japanese maple tree in winter in western ky.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do I propagate a weeping red japanese maple tree in winter in Ky. Did it a couple years ago. Put outside too soon and they died. They started out rooting really well indoors. Don't remember exactly what I did. This time I looked online like last time and got conflicting directions. I know when I did it it was winter. All directions online now say propagate late spring or early summer. I'm pretty sure I took stem cuttings with buds on them. Removed lower buds. Put in water to moisten. then powdered rooting hormone and into potting mix in a clay pot wrapped in plastic and put where it got good defused light. Misted everyday and watered lightly as needed I think once a week. They did well. Took several weeks to root but I expected that. Didn't want them to die! I don't like it when any plant dies! I have rescued plants from garbage cans n the past. The mother tree is an excellent specimen!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Usually the weeping forms of Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) are grafted onto the upright trunks of seedling maples. Of course one could propagate the plants by cuttings. The plants would later require firm staking in order to develop upright main trunks.

Many deciduous plants can potentially be started from hardwood cuttings collected in Winter during dormancy, though this is an atypical method for maples. Rooting softwood cuttings from new growth in Spring is considered easier.

Even when winter cuttings are taken, they will root in Spring when kept in natural conditions, but if the cuttings are brought indoors that may well act like an early Spring.

There are many variations of protocol that can sometimes be successful, and then later fail, even if conditions seem to be identical. The protocol you describe sounds reasonable. It may have worked previously but has failed this time for some subtle difference that would be difficult to determine. If you are looking for ideas on how to tweak your protocol, I would suggest adding bottom heat supplied from a heating pad.

In any case, if your attempts at rooting in Winter do fail, I hope you will continue to try again in Spring with fresh material.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Usually the weeping forms of Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum) are grafted onto the upright trunks of seedling maples. Of course one could propagate the plants by cuttings. The plants would later require firm staking in order to develop upright main trunks.

Many deciduous plants can potentially be started from hardwood cuttings collected in Winter during dormancy, though this is an atypical method for maples. Rooting softwood cuttings from new growth in Spring is considered easier.

Even when winter cuttings are taken, they will root in Spring when kept in natural conditions, but if the cuttings are brought indoors that may well act like an early Spring.

There are many variations of protocol that can sometimes be successful, and then later fail, even if conditions seem to be identical. The protocol you describe sounds reasonable. It may have worked previously but has failed this time for some subtle difference that would be difficult to determine. If you are looking for ideas on how to tweak your protocol, I would suggest adding bottom heat supplied from a heating pad.

In any case, if your attempts at rooting in Winter do fail, I hope you will continue to try again in Spring with fresh material.
Thank you for your response about propagating the maple tree. I am going to try it again. I will make sure conditions are right for them to go outside before taking them outside. I will use a heating pad if necessary. I may keep one inside as a bonsai plant.

Ask a Question