Is this a raspberry? Perhaps a blackberry?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My neighbor gave me this plant, but she was not sure what it was. Any ideas? Further, how might I prune it to get it to produce some fruit? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-4372.jpg
    IMG-4372.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG-4371.jpg
    IMG-4371.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Raspberries usually have a hairy looking stem. That is probably a tame blackberry.

Don't prune it. It grows as canes. Multiple canes will come from the root. Someone already topped it. Usually that higher branch will extend outwards so now you will have a horizontal branch growing instead of a vertical one. You only get berries on 2nd year canes. I'm not sure how well that is going to work trying to grow out of a pot. Also looks like it could use a bit more nitrogen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's a raspberry.
1684790735516.png
Don't prune it now until next springtime. In my opinion those are best in pots to stop the roots taking over the garden - they travel everywhere if you let them. I think your plant has already had a prune, so you just need to wait for the fruit.
Raspberries are self pollinating, although they flourish even more with the help of bees :)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Definitely raspberry...and as noted they love to "travel."

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please see new pictures. The leaves are yellowing, but there are new suckers. Is this normal? Advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-6330.jpg
    IMG-6330.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-6331.jpg
    IMG-6331.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
It did not. I'm so mad at myself. I punched holes in all the other ones. It even had little baby raspberries that were starting to grow.

It might survive--I punched holes in the sides near the bottom. Argh.

Ask a Question