(Amateur) Need help with my Raspberry plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_6091.jpg
IMG_6092.JPG

Hello Everyone! I came here for help as I am a new gardener/planter. I bought this raspberry plant a few months ago at Costco. It has grown tremendously and I am not really sure how or when to prune it. It produced really really small raspberries very quickly, and then it just stopped. It also started growing these mushrooms in the soil which i plucked and threw in a container unsure if i should feed them to my worms.

My question is: Will my raspberry produce again? Does it have a fungal disease because of these mushrooms? Also, Should i prune and how much should i take off???

Honestly any advice would be helpful! Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, don't worry about fungal disease, the mycelium for those toadstools will be growing in the soil, breaking stuff down and making food available for your raspberries, no problem.

There are two sorts of raspberries Summer and Autumn fruiting, sounds like yours are Summer ones, so now you need to go through them and take out all the older stems that you picked fruit from this year. If you can't tell them from the left over flower bits when you look at ground level they will be brown and the new stems are bright green. So cut those old, brown stems right back to ground level and leave the new ones that will bear next year's fruit.
Raspberries do grow, swap that pot for one four times the size and it will quickly fill it, plant it out in the garden and in a very few years you will have a garden that is all raspberries, that pot is not going to hack it for very long.

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off, don't worry about fungal disease, the mycelium for those toadstools will be growing in the soil, breaking stuff down and making food available for your raspberries, no problem.

There are two sorts of raspberries Summer and Autumn fruiting, sounds like yours are Summer ones, so now you need to go through them and take out all the older stems that you picked fruit from this year. If you can't tell them from the left over flower bits when you look at ground level they will be brown and the new stems are bright green. So cut those old, brown stems right back to ground level and leave the new ones that will bear next year's fruit.
Raspberries do grow, swap that pot for one four times the size and it will quickly fill it, plant it out in the garden and in a very few years you will have a garden that is all raspberries, that pot is not going to hack it for very long.

Thank you for your reply! Do you think buying a big grow bag on Amazon would be good for this plant??? I was also wondering if it would be okay to leave it on my balcony during winter?? I live in GA so the winters lowest temp is prob 32 degress. I am going to gather a bunch of straw and stuff to put on top of the soil to insulate it and stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just a quick glance at your plant makes me think it needs more sun and more nitrogen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking back I think YumYum is right , it is a bit pale and spindly. I live in England and grow mine outside, I don't think winter would hurt it, though in a container and in the ground is a bit different. The grow bag sounds like a good idea.

Ask a Question