Help needed

Waz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my garden is a bit over run, not long moved in I live in the UK.
My garden is on two levels, the top level has been covered with a membrane and stones put on top.
The soil underneath is not looking good and there's weeds and other flowers growing now, I wanted to remove all the stones membrane and have plant some grass seeds.
Just any advice what's the best approach to this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 16603089363337762947238585691096.jpg
    16603089363337762947238585691096.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 16603089687055844356894803940071.jpg
    16603089687055844356894803940071.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A nice engineering brick I see there :) There is a bit of clearing up to do , but when you have done it the ground underneath is probably compacted. Something I learned about here and have not had the opportunity to try; if you water compacted ground thoroughly with a solution of sugar it feeds the soil bacteria , which loosens the ground up without having to dig it and destroy the structure. It also sounds a lot easier than digging. It depends how much leveling out you need to do before planting your grass of course, you may have to dig some, but even that will be easier if the soil has loosened beforehand. You want a contour that you can mow easily. I think the idea of planting seed is a good one, most of the people I see on here with new lawn problems have gone the route of laying turf. But that is a bit in the future, looks like a few trips down the dump first, let's hope they dumped everything on top of the membrane and it's clear under it.

Waz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PS, I know it is hot, but worth wearing gloves to clear that out.
Yes definitely wearing gloves, thanks for the info, I've cleared most of the stones now into one big pile and just need to go tip to get rid, have tried the route of putting them on Facebook, marketplace etc but no one wants free gravel by the look of things.

Might phone a builders merchant by me just before I take them to the tip see if they know anyone that might want them.

Going to be alot of trips I know that. Would it be better to lay turf down instead of grass seeds?
The garden is on a bit of a incline so will level as best as I can.

Also any ideas of best to hide the breeze blocks? Potential to paint them or was going to cover them with a treated wood but unsure yet.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be better to lay turf down instead of grass seeds?
The garden is on a bit of a incline so will level as best as I can.
Turf is instant, well in appearance, it needs time to put down roots before you walk on it, but it costs more than a bag of seed, and you are never really sure what are getting until you unroll it. My experience on this forum is that nearly all the threads from people having problems with new lawns are from people with turf. Have a look through the lawns forum, but I have seeded a few lawns and visual cover is pretty quick, first cut is at four inches or so, and depending on time of year that is only a couple of months.

Waz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Turf is instant, well in appearance, it needs time to put down roots before you walk on it, but it costs more than a bag of seed, and you are never really sure what are getting until you unroll it. My experience on this forum is that nearly all the threads from people having problems with new lawns are from people with turf. Have a look through the lawns forum, but I have seeded a few lawns and visual cover is pretty quick, first cut is at four inches or so, and depending on time of year that is only a couple of months.
Cheers thanks for the advice, I might try it with seeds see how that turns out, is there some seeds that are better than others, better places to buy from that kind of thing?
What time of year is best, probably best waiting until the autumn is it?
Also would the finish be alot better getting an actual grass seed roller.
Thanks again.
Hopefully all the gravel and nasty bits will be all gone within the next week or two then can start prepping the soil a little.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are types which suit different locations. If they are good your local garden center should know what local soil conditions are like and stock something suitable. There are also special types for shaded places and such. On the other hand, though some may work better than others most work, and a lot are a mix of seed.

I used a steel drum roller that filled with water to give it weight, cheaper than a conventional one, and a lot easier to store when you empty it out. Did the job fine.

September is supposed to be the prime time for sowing , by the time you have finished prepping it will almost be that. You can sow almost any time of year, but warm, moist ground gets better germination. In September it hasn't cooled down yet, but the hot sun isn't drying it out and there is a bit of rain so everything is easier.

Ask a Question