Mini greenhouse purchase, help and advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has asked me for a mini greenhouse for Christmas and sent me this link as an example https://www.wayfair.co.uk/garden/pd...-w-x-16-ft-d-growing-rack-vonh1197.html?piid=

Of course as Dad I am expected to know exactly what is the best one, but I have no experience of them. Looking through the possibilities I see there are various materials for covers, are some preferable to others? Can covers be replaced if they rip or wear? Do you have any other tips or pointers for me ?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know much about those but you should be able to get replacement covers for them. But it doesn't look very strong and would need to weight it down from the strong winds. But if that's what your daughter wants perhaps it will be ok.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
She lives in an upstairs flat and gets half a garden that has decking. I have given her a number of plants in pots and she has acquired a taste for growing things, but is obviously somewhat limited. The link is simply to show the sort of thing she wants, she is relying on me to sort out a good one (foolish child). I think keeping something on the bottom shelf at all times should hold it down, and I was planning on giving her a roll of clear tape to tape the cover to the frame and stop flapping, but covers especially seem to vary greatly. Some appear to have reinforcement built in, some are clear, some translucent, and they appear to be all sorts of different materials such as PVA, PVC or polythene. I wonder if any transmit the sort of light plants need better than others, are stronger, are more uv resistant etc.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
It's best if you can read any reviews and if you have any questions you can phone them and see what they say. Anything will deteriorate after a few years and they have to be replaced. I think those covers are made so that they can come off during the warm weather.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did a fair bit of researching and settled for one from B&Q. Most of the reviews were good, there was one guy who was complaining because he had had his 'A few years' and the ends of the bars were starting to rust and the zips stick. Like you say They have to be considered reasonably disposable, and as they were on offer at £21 I reckon that makes even a couple of years use pretty cheap, 'A few years' should be three or more. Now to find some seed trays and pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have always used a little dab of margarine on my finger run down the zipper, just a touch, not too much. Being a spray WD 40 might spread a bit far.
Just stop the organic insanity and put wd40 on the zipper! its a zipper! zip zip zip! in the rain! in the uv light! Lordhepme.

Butter lol at least try to attract pollinators!

Ask a Question