Easy DIY mini-greenhouse from reclaimed windows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
image.jpg

I was looking at several of the DIY greenhouses, but most of them require a lot of matching windows. Great if you happen to have that lying around, or know an easy place to secure some, but otherwise, not an easy project if you don't have enough windows .
However, I found those mini-greenhouses that would be pretty simple to make if you are handy with DIY projects, and they only require two matching windows.
They could probably also be made using plastic PVC pipe and clear plastic sheeting if you don't have the windows.

Reaction score
Those are so cute. I love homemade greenhouses. I want to challenge myself and make one. Well actually I will force the husband to do it. Just kidding, I need a greenhouse but I will not spend all my money on it this time around.

Reaction score
Thanks happyflowerlady for the picture of those mini ones. I see you are in Alabama and I am not familiar with the climate. What would you grow in a mini and what season would this work out in. I keep going back up to that picture...looks like a do-able project I would be willing to try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Those mini-greenhouses are so adorable!:D I love them. If I tried to make my own ones, they probably wouldn't look as pretty though, lol:p Well, maybe my boyfriend could help me if I managed to find a few nice windows. Thank you for sharing it!

Reaction score
That looks wonderful. I have been wanting some mini green houses for a while and those would be perfect. Unfortunately, my building skills are horrible. If I ever found some windows that would be such a nice thing to try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Those look adorable and doable, but I am not handy with any thing like this. In fact, I don't even have any tools, and the only thing is know is screw driver, but you need to indicate to me if it's the flat head or the other one if you want me to fetch it for you :)

I wish I can do something like this, and I bet it would look amazing around the yard!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Those are cute, but they have that open section between the point where the windows meet and the top of the box. Greenhouses are closed systems, that's how they protect plants. Also, I have gone to places where you can easily get old windows, doors, etc., and not only is matching them an issue, but the condition of the wood around the window edges, doesn't make them desirable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, jackpot! I simply love this idea. Not sure, why I have never seen this idea before! When I share this picture with my mother tonight, during our nightly phone call, she is going to be so excited too! It has such a whimsical feel!

I think, it would just as clever, to use mismatching window panels. You could paint the same color, or add cute little designs. Oh my little brain is just spinning with idea's!

But life on a flower farm, can be busy enough with other project, I am sure my dad is going to roll his eyes, when he finds out what we have planned, next. We always like to scheme and start little projects like this. :D

I think it is the perfect spot for growing some herbs! If we get our way and build a couple, I will share. I hope someone else gets into the DIY spirit and share a picture of their creativity, too!

Ask a Question