Veggies that are easy to grow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am getting a farm and am looking for some ideas for veggies that are easy to grow for noobies. I have experience growing onions, carrots, and lettuce. How about other vegetables, any recommendations?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
If you have sweet potatoes there, that's my number 1 in the list. We have an extended garden here in a vacant lot beside our property. Just after the drought early this year, I pulled one vine of sweet potato and planted it in our extended garden. And with just a little water, the vine grew fast. When the rains came last month, I was not able to visit the extended garden because of the rains. The other day, I saw the vine which is now very long, maybe 10 meters long. My husband said that I can cut up the long vines to have cuttings for planting. And yes, the sweet potato vine will grow fast in almost anywhere as long as it has water.

Reaction score
Sweet potatoes are the easiest and quickest to grow and are nutritious, too. Both the leaves and the fruits are edible. I've grown eggplants as well and they also fruited easily. I have no luck with tomatoes so far, help!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Vegetables are all easy to grow. I plant only what we like to eat, tomatoes, corn, beans, white potatoes, okra, onions, melons, squash, sweet potatoes in the spring about April. I plant my fall crops Aug 15, peas, beets, broccoli, swiss chard, napa cabbage, potatoes, garlic, onion seeds, leaks. Learn when to plant and you can grow anything.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
One of the easiest veggies to grow is cowpeas. These are legumes but their leaves are used as vegetables. I come from the tropics and they are very easy to grow in semi arid conditions. They seldom require manures or fertilizers since they fix nitrogen into the soil. They also have a short growth span requiring only one month to mature. The only problem I encountered while growing them is deer who nimble on the young shoots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am going to start out with regular potatoes, as I don't like sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onions, and lettuce. As I get better as a gardener I will branch out to some more complex vegetables.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Pumpkin, cabbage, broccoli, spring onions, chillies are fairly easy to grow as well. Just make sure you have room for the pumpkin vine to take over a large patch as they like to scale all sorts of things which is actually good because it stops your pumpkins from rotting due to being on the ground.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Squash is so easy to grow and you get an abundance of squash! I never even liked it before I started growing it, but now I have so many squash recipes and I make a lot of breads with it. It is so moist so it is great for baking or if you want a low carb faux spaghetti meal. I use my squash as pasta too!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Rhubarb :)

I planted a pack of 50 seeds, they all germinated :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Most veggies are easy to grow just as long as they are planted in the right season. It's starting to get the season for radishes, they are super easy to grow and will be ready in no time at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Most veggies are easy to grow just as long as they are planted in the right season. It's starting to get the season for radishes, they are super easy to grow and will be ready in no time at all.

I have to agree with this statement. It depends on what your weather/soil are like and what time of year it is. It also depends on if the seeds you are buying are for plants that are cold or heat hardy depending on your situation.
For example: Rhubarb is super easy to grow, but normally is an early spring crop here in WI. Radishes do best in the early spring and fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All veggies are easy to grow IF you plant what grows well in your particular location and climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4-5
Country
United States
I am from Wisconsin, and sweet potatoes don't have a long enough season here. I suggest you first consider your region, then your family likes and dislikes, then start out small. Don't begin with a huge garden that will overwhelm you the first year and turn you off of gardening. Onions are best started with onion sets, not seeds for beginners. Carrots are a good choice as long as you are willing to thin them. Tomatoes, lettuce & potatoes are good and easy too. Then as you get more adept and experienced, you can add a new vegetable or two every year, gradually increasing the size of your garden if you wish. Good luck and have fun!

Ask a Question