Veggies that are easy to grow

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have to agree with this statement. It depends on what your weather/soil are like and what time of year it is. It also depends on if the seeds you are buying are for plants that are cold or heat hardy depending on your situation.
For example: Rhubarb is super easy to grow, but normally is an early spring crop here in WI. Radishes do best in the early spring and fall.
I think that something that is very often over looked is soil acidity. Very few people test their soil and then wonder why their plants don't grow. As you said both soil and weather have to be right in order for your veggies to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am getting a farm and am looking for some ideas for veggies that are easy to grow for noobies. I have experience growing onions, carrots, and lettuce. How about other vegetables, any recommendations?

Almost everything is easy to grow as long as you are in the correct zone. The bigger issue are diseases, rodents and insects ( for me ). Some veggies depending on the variety have issues that you must watch out for, like tomatoes.. but others like you said carrots, onions, sweet potatoes are basically just stick the seed in the ground and wait, and hopefully keep pests away.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an easy time growing tomatoes and cucumbers. So much that I find myself with am abundance of them towards the beginning of fall. I like them because you can purée them and freeze it to make sauce at a later time. Cucumbers can be made into pickles to preserve. I have a hard time growing bell peppers even though they are one of my favorite veggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Vines and roots seem easiest to me. Vines = tomatoes, cucumbers, squash (including zucchini and pumpkins too), etc., etc. Plant when warm weather is coming, use a lot more fertilizer, and let them spread, get huge and give you a ton of fruits. Easy peasy. By roots I mean roots, bulbs, tubers, etc. Nearly all are easy, except carrots are hard to germinate. If you've grown carrots and lettuce I think you're already a step ahead on difficulty and shouldn't have that much trouble with any veggie.

If you're getting a farm farm and not just a little plot of land then you might need farmer advice rather than gardener advice. There's machines, large scale irrigation, etc., etc. that I can't answer. Could also change which plants are easier.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So far the only veggies that I could grow were green beans and sweet potatoes. So I would say that those two are the easiest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Almost everything is easy to grow as long as you are in the correct zone. The bigger issue are diseases, rodents and insects ( for me ). Some veggies depending on the variety have issues that you must watch out for, like tomatoes.. but others like you said carrots, onions, sweet potatoes are basically just stick the seed in the ground and wait, and hopefully keep pests away.

I truly understand what you're saying, the weather and diseases are the biggest headaches for me. As long as I grow stuff at the right time, I usually don't have a problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I truly understand what you're saying, the weather and diseases are the biggest headaches for me. As long as I grow stuff at the right time, I usually don't have a problem.

We have been having some crazy weather here the last few growing seasons, and I even know that our neighbors had to install this weird looking rain catching system so the plants would not get too much water. Just a couple of years it was not enough water, so it just makes you think.

Ask a Question