Veggies green but not growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
We planted our garden two weeks ago. It is in a fenced in area where farm animals were held at one time by the previous home owner, but not all the time, i think it was more of a holding pen. Last year we planted in the same area, and it did about the same thing. The veggies would stay green but would not grow at all. Eventually some of them did, but did not produce. Maybe I'm being to impatient right now, but its frustrating spending the money and time on it, and not seeing any results.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First thing I'd do is get your soil tested. Contact your state Master Gardener extension or a good local nursery.

An off the wall thought, are there any black walnut trees nearby? They release a hormone or chemical into the soil that is toxic to many plants.

Also more information would help...where in the US are you, do the plants get appropriate sun and water, have you amended the soil, have you tried fertilizer, checked for insect damage, etc. Also photos would help too. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Mine were slow growing after I put them into a new raised bed, and I hit them with liquid fertilizer. They shot up after that. It did get warm at the same time so I know that helped. Has it been cool where you are?

Ask a Question