Fruit that are Easy to Grow?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have zero experience in growing fruit beyond maybe strawberries, but I would absolutely love to have some fresh fruit right from my backyard. Does anyone know of any fruit that are fairly easy and inexpensive to grow? I have a decent amount of room in my yard with okay soil, and somewhat limited space in the garden. Any additional tips for growing fruit in general would be very appreciated as well.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tomatoes are one of the easiest to grow, not to say there won't be any problems, but of all the options I would say they are definitely one of the easiest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are many vegetables you can grow.......tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, eggplant and the list goes on but you asked about fruit. Most citrus, but not all, are out of the question, but there are some that you could grow if you grew them in big containers that you could bring inside during your cold weather. Then there are the cold weather fruits such as apples and some pears which you could grow. You could also grow berries. It all depends on your space and growing conditions. You have good conditions for the growth of vegetables but with fruit you are limited. I am sure there are other fruits that I do not know about that will thrive in your area. You should go to local nurseries and find out what is good for your area

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Gooseberry, Currants, Raspberry, Ground Cherry, Concord grape vine

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AZQUW 16 September 2011 Concord Grapes
Thirty pounds of pristine Concord grapes were picked from my one vine,and made into juice. Twelve liters of juice was made from 30 pounds of grapes. Between two and three pounds of grapes for each liter. There were only about five earwigs found in the clusters.

http://www.durgan.org/2015/July 2015/20 July 2015 Gooseberry Juice/HTML/ 20 July 2015 Gooseberry Juice
Nine pounds of European gooseberries were picked from my one bush and processed into six liters of juice. A few American berries were picked and added.The berries were cooked until soft, then beat into a slurry, strained through a 2 mm mesh food mill, then placed in liter jars and pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 Minutes for storage. They were picked because some started to fall off the bushes. Color change is minimal with this fruit,but they get sweet and a bit soft when ripe.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SOPKC 29 October 2014 Physalis peruviana (Cape Gooseberry)
The fruit was removed from three plants of ground cherry, Physalis peruviana, Cape Gooseberry. Two pounds of fruit was obtained. On this type of ground cherry most of the fruit does not fall to the ground when ripe. The fruit must be yellow in color, and if green should be discarded, since solanine is present and should not be ingested.This plant take about 9 months or longer to mature, so must be started indoors in Zone 5. The fruit may be ingested raw. Cooked with a small amount of water, just brought to a boil for about three minutes, it has a most agreeable flavor

.http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GXPHS 13 July 2014 Black Currants
Five pounds of black currants from my one garden bush were picked and made into juice-four liters.The berries were washed, covered with water, boiled until soft and beat into a slurry with a hand blender. The slurry was put through a 2mm mesh food mill to strain out the gross fiber. Pictures depict the process.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?KUILB 23 September 2012 Raspberry
The small raspberry patch 3 feet by 8 feet has produced about 10 pounds of berries over the last month and more are available if the killing frost holds off.The berries are put through the Champion Juicer to remove the seeds to make a dessert or milk shake.The berries must be processed immediately since mold forms quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
im in maine and i have raspberries and blueberries that are native around here. in my yard i have the joan j and polka cultivated raspberries. they are primocane raspberries which means they produce on 1 yr. canes. in winter i just mow the old canes to the ground. they regrow and berry the next season! no pruning like summer bearing floricane varieties. usually most years you can get away without spraying them. they both don't take up much space. i grow northsky blueberries which is a compact bush that puts out ALOT of big berries. plant them with a bunch of peatmoss added to the soil. they like the soil ph slightly acidic which peat moss is. i also have black currant, honey berry, elderberry, aronia, serviceberry, goumi berry, autumn olive, and seaberry on my property. these will also grow in your area but either they will be too big for a small yard or not ideal for fresh eating. got any questions give me a yell!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
im in maine and i have raspberries and blueberries that are native around here. in my yard i have the joan j and polka cultivated raspberries. they are primocane raspberries which means they produce on 1 yr. canes. in winter i just mow the old canes to the ground. they regrow and berry the next season! no pruning like summer bearing floricane varieties. usually most years you can get away without spraying them. they both don't take up much space. i grow northsky blueberries which is a compact bush that puts out ALOT of big berries. plant them with a bunch of peatmoss added to the soil. they like the soil ph slightly acidic which peat moss is. i also have black currant, honey berry, elderberry, aronia, serviceberry, goumi berry, autumn olive, and seaberry on my property. these will also grow in your area but either they will be too big for a small yard or not ideal for fresh eating. got any questions give me a yell!
I grow Polka too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
aren't they a easy cultivar! had heritage also but i pulled them because i lost half my crop due to late berry production. polka finshes about a week or 2 before our 1st. frost and the horntail wasps don't kill the tips as much as the heritages. i just planted a row of joan j last summer so i should be getting berries this year! just ordered some primocane thornless blackberries, prime ark freedom. this will be the 1st time I can grow blackberries up here as floricanes freeze to the ground in our cold. w/ primocanes that won't be a problem. can't wait to get them!

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you live in a region zone 5-8, I'd suggest goji berries. They're fast growing, and the fruits are one of the healthiest things you can eat.

Reaction score
No plant is ever easy to grow, except for potted herbs you can buy off the farmer's market. You can start by choosing seedlings that are within your topical climate growing condition. The advice is: Don't buy a cactus during the rainy season.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Guavas are very easy to grow. For one, they are drought resistant and can grow in a wide variety of soils. Guavas seeds sprout very easily whenever there is moisture and require no manure to nurture them. Guava plants are hardy and flexible and can withstand rough handling. They have few pests and diseases. The only challenge is to control fruitflies and birds which destroy the fruits.

Ask a Question