Easy Fruits to Grow?

Reaction score
I am wanting to start my own garden, but the only experience I've had is helping my grandfather with his vegetable garden. I'm picky with veggies, but I LOVE fruit. Are there any fruits that are easy to grow and take care of? I'd like to try strawberries, but I'm not sure how much space I'd need.

Reaction score
Strawberries are fairly easy to grow but tend to get overcrowded as they grow runners. The plants usually last about 4 years - but you can keep the runners and use them to keep your plants going. The advantage to strawberries is that you can plant in early spring (about now) and get a crop for June/July. Just keep cutting off the runners until after the berries are done.

Other berries like raspberries and blackberries won't produce in their first year but are relatively easy to grow. As most other fruits grow from trees, you will need several years to get a crop.

Reaction score
Just found out why we didn't get more strawberries from our plants; never cut back the runners).
Apple trees are fairly easy, although they need pruned to do best. Berry bushes also need pruned to do really well, I think, but otherwise can pretty much be left alone. Even some that have gone wild do really well (had to hack my way through some raspberry bushes a year or so ago with a sword to get to most of the berries and still go a good load).

Reaction score
I'd like to try berry bushes, but I have a lot of bunnies and stray cats in my backyard. Will they mess with the berries?

I've heard about growing strawberries indoors in small pots or planters, but I wouldn't think that they'd grow as much in a smaller space like that.

Reaction score
I've never had such luck with strawberries even after having someone help me with my plants. I've been told they are easy to grow but I don't know.

Apple trees are very easy to grow. It does take a few years before you see a crop though. Cherry trees the same way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I agree about apples, I have an apple tree:)
I think that raspberries are easy to grow, too. My grandparents have a large raspberry bush in their garden. They don't do anything with it, they don't even prune it, yet it produces lots and lots of yummy and very sweet fruits:)

Reaction score
Most berries are fairly easy to grow! Specially strawberries, but if you want to try something more fancy and appealing to the eye... The you should try pineberries! They look like white strawberries but taste like pineapple! Pretty neat indeed :)

Reaction score
Lol - there is no such thing as a " Pineberry " and the reason why " pineberries " look just like white strawberries is because that is exactly what they are - white strawberries :D

White strawberries have been around for years - but are only just beginning to become popular - mainly due to the fact that white strawberries are being promoted as a gourmet food in some of the worlds finest restaurants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I think that if you want to grow something where you can have fruit the first year, strawberries are the best choice. I have grown them in dirt, in planters, and even in hanging baskets. My best ones were when I turned a small goat pen into a little garden area. The goat manure was rototilled into the rich soil, and also hay and straw that had fallen on the ground, making it a great place to grow the strawberries. the plants were huge, spread like crazy, and still produced a great crop of everbearing strawberries.

Reaction score
I think most of berries is pretty easy to plant. I have strawberry in my garden and it's pretty easy to plant

Reaction score
I would say that berries are the easiest. They're smaller fruits, so I guess they don't take as long to grow. I'm probably going to divide an area in my garden specifically for berries. Right now, my garden is sort of crammed all together.

Reaction score
I have had luck with strawberries and blackberries. Tried out blueberries this here and I am not sure what happened. They say to keep it in mostly shade, but I think the heat wave we just had hurt it badly. And Tomatoes are easy to grow and before you say anything a Tomato is actually a fruit.

Reaction score
Blackberries! I love my blackberries! I get more and more berries each year. You can basically leave them alone, and they will do great. They spread rapidly so sometimes you have to prune them back. There are a lot of new shoots every year, and I've done nothing to them. I have tried blueberries, but I wasn't so lucky with them. Both bushes died.

Reaction score
Country
Congo
I think Tomatoes are the really easiest fruits to grow!Tomato plants are vines, and they have two basic ways of growing, called determinate and indeterminate. The vines of determinate varieties (sometimes called bush tomatoes) grow only 1 to 3 feet long, and the main stem and side stems produce about three flower clusters each. Once flowers form at the vine tips, the plant stops growing. This means determinate types set fruit over about a two-week period and then stop, which makes them excellent choices for canning. Indeterminate tomatoes have sprawling vines that grow 6 to 20 feet long. Most produce about three flower clusters at every second leaf. They keep growing and producing unless stopped by frost, disease, or lack of nutrients, which means you can keep picking fresh tomatoes the whole season. Pruning is necessary, however, or they will put too much energy into vine production.

Ask a Question