Bamboo advice - help needed!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased 6 Fargesia Blue Dragon bambo plants (small pots, the plants around roughly 40-50cm tall) online. When they were delivered they were fine but after putting them outside they seem to be dying. It was really windy for a week or so, I thought I’d bring them indoors in sunlight but they’re not improving. I haven’t watered them in 2 weeks but the soil is so wet. Any advise to get them to improve? I’m not sure how to get them healthy again?
628C8A38-0DCA-4576-8791-E5A73B9211BB.jpeg
A181D46C-FBA4-4BC5-AF94-757BE4B94CBA.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just keep them evenly moist and they should do just fine. They really don’t look that bad and as long as new shoots keep coming up from the bottom they should be okay.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, that’s really helpful. Should I keep them indoors for now or will that do more harm to than good? Also is there anything I can put on it to encourage growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Outdoors would be better, there’s lots more light and it might be warmer(?). With the higher light you can also water more since, theoretically, they will be growing faster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Ashleighlb :) You chose a nice bamboo, but don`t stress over it too much as it`s tough. Plant it and leave it - it will take care of itself. I hope you have a big area for it to grow, as six plants will cover quite a large area.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, that’s reassuring. I’m waiting for a fence to be replaced and then I'm hoping to plant it. Yes, wanted to cover a big area hopefully. I might repot them whilst we wait.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I imagine you will be using these as a screen then? You will need to make sure the soil for them is well enriched with organic compost - moist but not waterlogged as they will flourish then, with some sunshine and some shelter as they will get quite tall.
We happened to watch a video last evening where the bamboo was getting a prune, and all the lower greenery was removed to show the lovely canes, quite impressive! An inconspicuous wire was used to hold the tops of the plants to look more uniform !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the help, its outside now and still looking very sad but I’m hoping to get some compost and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Best thing to do is be patient now. The time to see some new growth with your bamboo will be spring. From now on over the autumn and winter you won`t see much happening above ground, but the plants will be getting themselves established. As long as they are watered in and have some decent soil/compost they should be fine. Maybe you could show us a picture of the planting. I will add a link to a video you could watch if you have time :)

Ask a Question