Bamboo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
is anybody doing bamboo - i`ve got some room i`m in zone 8 - boo koo hot - when is planting time how much water and i`m mostly sand

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
is anybody doing bamboo - i`ve got some room i`m in zone 8 - boo koo hot - when is planting time how much water and i`m mostly sand
It grows great in sand. I hope you are not thinking of planting spreading bamboo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a "inpenetrable" bamboo forest at the bottom of our garden for getting on for twenty years. I need to get in there soon and do a bit of woodcutting. of some of the dead wood.

P1020923.JPG

Fortunately, it's less than a foot deep. That's the back fence you can see through it.

This started off as a self-seeded clump half way down the side border twenty years ago. About fifteen or so years ago I dug it up and split it with a spade into small clumps of two or three canes and replanted it along the back fence. It's a bit whimpy, as it needs wires stretched along its length at around 5ft off the ground to prevent it falling over.

As you will see, only a few canes are producing all this foliage. Amongst them there's always a few dead ones each year that need pruning. They are always replaced by new growth. I also have to trim off a few canes that "bolt" and can grow to a couple of feet above the canopy.

Fortunately, it doesn't send out rhyzomes, it's only crept forward about six inches in all that time.

P1020922.JPG

We've a black bamboo behind the pagoda, it is very slow growing, only put on a couple of feet in over five years and only spread a few inches..

P1020918.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
should i get the one`s that don`t spread like [ clumpers ] i think they are called and when is planting time
Yes, get the clumpers. Spreading bamboo is SUPER invasive. It will literally destroy your property. I have actually seen it destroy an actual physical house. It was vacant and in bad shape, but still, a plant that can take down a house is something I don't care to have around. In many places it is illegal to sell but someone is always trying to make a dollar. Get your clumping bamboo from a reputable source.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
believe it or not where i live it is everywhere - on the side streets and the hwy. - but again when is planting time

Ask a Question