Type of bamboo

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hello,

I need some help identifying the type of bamboo wich is all around the place. I want to exterminate it from my garden because I think the bamboo can cut my pondliner. I have taken a picture of the plant. I did a little research online but all the spicies I found had a lot of leaves so I'm not so sure what it is.

Maybe you can help me out?

See the picture below:

20190714_163824.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Its horsetail reed. Very hard to get rid of. If you can pull as much as possible and then cover the area with plastic, that may kill it off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, it's horsetail It is next to impossible to get rid of. It spreads by underground rhizomes and by spores. There have been tons of experiments on how to eradicate this stuff from digging it up to burning to exotic chemical poisoning. Nothing works well. Digging up a thick stand will involve heavy equipment. In essence, one has to ensure that not a single tiny piece of rhizome is left in the soil or it will just come back. In reality, removing the soil too. Chemical herbicides do work but not quickly. The best herbicide is triclopyr. The common product name is Cut Vine and Stump Killer. You have to cut the horsetail down and apply the stuff to the stumps several times. Another way is to inject glysophate (Roundup) via hypodermic needle to the lowest segment. Again, numerous times. And then there are the spores of which nothing can be done except keeping the horsetail cut down and then it comes back from the rhizomes. This is nasty stuff. A close first cousin to spreading bamboo. I have actually physically seen it destroy a wood frame house when I lived in Houston in a matter of weeks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a type of Scouring-rush or Horsetail, perhaps Smooth Scouring-rush (Equisetum laevigatum) or a hybrid.
Equisetum is not closely related to Bamboo, which are woody Grasses (Bambusoideae, Poaceae).
Equisetum is a genus of non-seed plants related to Ferns. In fact, Equisetum is the extant sister group to all other living ferns.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting, the English common name I said to myself before scrolling down is 'Mare's tail', same difference I suppose. A pain to lose completely, persistence will at least keep it under control.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Of course, common name usage can vary, but usually the name, Mare's-tail refers to Hippuris vulgaris, another widespread, aquatic plant with narrowly upright stems. However, unlike Equisetum, Hippuris is a flowering plant with minute, wind-pollinated flowers.
Formerly placed in its own monotypic family, Hippuridaceae, molecular sequence data finally determined Hippuris belongs in Plantaginaceae, in the modern, broad sense, along with a diverse assemblage of genera including plantains (Plantago), speedwells (Veronica), snapdragons (Antirrhinum), foxgloves (digitalis), and mostly closely of all, the water-starworts (Callitriche).

Ask a Question