Bamboo care

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have a question about my bamboo plant which is potted and has sprung well with bamboo canes that are very tall! Just wondering how I cut these back to a reasonable height?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums @VB 76 it's really good to have you on board. (y)

Well, at least you were sensible enough to leave that in a pot! We are, at the moment in the process of getting rid of some of the same stuff that has taken off and is trying to take over :( It would be a good idea now to harvest your canes and cut them off right at the bottom. New growth will then start and your plant will be brought back down to earth for a while, and look much nicer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are two types of bamboo. Spreading and clumping. Hopefully you don't have the type that @Tetters had, the spreading type. Wherever you cut bamboo the node below the cut will produce leaves, making it more tree like.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

To reduce the height of any bamboo, clumping or spreading, cut the tallest culms (upright stems) out at ground level, keeping only culms that are of acceptable height. Eventually other culms will also grow taller and you will repeat the process. Keep and dry the harvested culms. They make excellent garden stakes, and are also useful for floristry and many types of ornamental craft projects.

Ask a Question