Container bamboo question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hi,

A friend has bought a house and wants to grow a row of bamboo in containers to create a privacy screen from the neighbours garden. (Concrete floor next to a pool where it's needed so no option of planting in the ground.)

She's looking for it to be around 8ft as a minimum.

I'm guessing she'll need some of the concrete containers I've seen that are around 2 1/2 - 3 ft deep to grow a good root and rhizome system.

I'm looking at Bambusa oldhamii for hardiness here in Los Angeles, and also a good clumping grower used for screens.

Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas for varieties or containers, or if the ones I've suggested seem like a good way to go?

Many thanks,
Thomas

Reaction score
Country
United States
University of California has a UC Master Gardener Program in Sonoma County. They can tell you what's the very best bamboo to buy and how to grow it in a contained area. Some Bamboo can grow 2 inches an hour in the growing season and can bust out of their grow area and can become very invasive. So you need to talk to the experts before planting and find what's best for you and your area. I had a friend that planted bamboo, and in the end, he had to have a BobCat dozer remove it because he tried every way to remove but couldn't. So be very careful with bamboo. Good luck

Ask a Question