Growing indeterminate tomato plants in containers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I’m just started some supersweet100 tomatoes.
I am going to grow them in the smart pot fabric containers. How many gallons should the container be for the tomato plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m just started some supersweet100 tomatoes.
I am going to grow them in the smart pot fabric containers. How many gallons should the container be for the tomato plant?
A minimum of 5. All of my plants this year will be in these containers. I am using 7 gallon for tomatoes and 5 gallon for peppers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does that also apply to indeterminate tomatoes? I just got 10 gallon smart pots.
I said 5 gallon minimum which included indeterminates. The root system is the determining factor. I consider 5 gallons a minimum for good root development. Plant size is another factor but by using stakes or a cage the pot size is not a factor. I started to get 10 gallon pots but I have grown indeterminates in 5 gallon paint buckets so I decided 10 gallons was a tad overkill. There is absolutely nothing wrong using 10 gallon pots for tomatoes and in fact may be better than the 7 gallon pots I am getting. Peppers have a much smaller root system than tomatoes which is why I am getting both 5 and 7 gallon. I am also going to plant squash and melons but I have never tried to grow them in containers before but 5 gallon should be sufficient for them too.

Ask a Question