Problems with container plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for your input on what your biggest frustrations and problems with plant containers are. For example, my mother has a ton of potted plants, and every winter (Zone 8A) she has to move them all indoors. This is a big hassle, and on top of that she will sometimes move them back outside on a warmer day and then forget to bring them in when it gets cold again, which leads to them dying. Do any of you struggle with this or any other problems that have to do with plant containers?

Any input is welcome and appreciated!

*For context, I'm not trying to sell anything, but I'm looking for a need in the market so that I can solve it and make people's lives better while simultaneously making a living in the future. I have a couple ideas already but I want to see what there is a need for.

Thanks !

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it a hassle to move them? Would it be easier to have something that covers them so you don't have to move the plants?

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People move plants indoors largely because of cold weather. Any cover would have to provide protection from frost either by insulation or heating. Insulation would make a cover cumbersome and cut down light and ventilation. Heating gets expensive with temperatures down to 20°F-10°F. If you have space and money a greenhouse heated to stay above freezing is the optimum. Otherwise it's carting them in and out morning and evening. Either one by one or on a trolley, if you have level access to the outside area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for your input on what your biggest frustrations and problems with plant containers are. For example, my mother has a ton of potted plants, and every winter (Zone 8A) she has to move them all indoors. This is a big hassle, and on top of that she will sometimes move them back outside on a warmer day and then forget to bring them in when it gets cold again, which leads to them dying. Do any of you struggle with this or any other problems that have to do with plant containers?

*For context, I'm not trying to sell anything, but I'm looking for a need in the market so that I can solve it and make people's lives better while simultaneously making a living in the future. I have a couple ideas already but I want to see what there is a need for.

Thanks !
There is a product on the market called Nsulate. It is a cover and a windbreak. It works really good BUT, it only gives about 4-6 degrees of protection from the cold. A product that could give a lot more protection would be fantastic not only for container gardening but also for in the ground gardening as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
All my trees are in container because I have little space at my backyard. And I can move them, like your mother does, during winter and summer. Some of my trees are tropical so they are very sensitive to extreme cold during winter like mangoes, soursop, star apple. Avocado cannot stand the extreme heat. So it has to be moved during summer. I probably dreaming the impossible to grow these plants where they could not live but I would like to find out.

Ask a Question