Can anyone indentify this weed and what I would need to kill it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone indentify this weed and what I would need to kill it.

Attachments

• Photo 8.jpg
    Photo 8.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Photo 7.jpg
    Photo 7.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo 6.jpg
    Photo 6.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Photo 5.jpg
    Photo 5.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Photo 4.jpg
    Photo 4.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 19
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think what you have is mares/horse tail. It is typically much more vigorous than that, but all the weeds in my garden are stunted by the hot weather and drought, and I can't think of anything else frond like like that. It is a prehistoric monster of a plant with a deep, spreading root system that propagates if a bit is broken off. A powerful systemic weed killer and persistence, painting every bit that comes back, is the only way I know.
I do hope I am wrong and someone says, "Oh no, you just pour old tea over them and they turn into fertiliser." or some such.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was interested to read that the horsetail has a deep hard to get at root, and even though herbicide can damage it the robust root can easily fight back. I guess it is just one more of those plants where you have to keep it so miserable it finally gives up and goes away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Weed killer is not absorbed by the plant so it is not translocated down to the roots. You need to bruise the stems before spraying. there is a specific chemical for killing Equisetum, but I have a feeling it is not very nice to use.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Equisetum arvense (Horsetail) contains silica and can be used for scouring pans. It is deep rooted 3 to 4 ft down in one garden I had.
Removing any above ground growth when you see it will weaken it. See here for info https://www.rhs.org.uk/weeds/horsetail
Note that there are decorative relatives of this plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a Thought really, would an electric weedkiller have any effect on this ?
They do it b burning the plant, so they would kill the above ground part, but there are viable roots three feet underground, so I think it would be back.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found SBK effective at killing it (damage it first by crushing or bashing to weaken its waxy outer layer) but unfortunately if you live in an area where it is prevalent it will come back as the root system is extensive and like fine hair so impossible to pull without breaking bits which then grow back. Difficult to weedkiller if it's near desirable plants or in the lawn but you can screen off nice plants while you spray with bin bags until the weedkiller dries. Or move house! Good luck.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ugh. I have so much of this too. My understanding is that to really fight it you have to change the soil ph. I have been fighting this by pulling it up for years, but haven't attacked the soil. Fingers crossed.

This from another website: "Raising the soil's pH is a key element in a horsetail-control plan as well, since the plant prefers acidic soil. Add agricultural lime to the soil two weeks before or after the fertilizer for best results. Though it may take up to five years, the plants will go away on their own using this tactic"

Ask a Question