Blueberry & Raspberry Plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
For years I've wanted to grow my own blueberries and raspberries. A friend of mine got tired of listening to me talk about it I guess and was lovely enough to gift me these as my house-warming gift!
20220417_144431.jpg
20220417_144427.jpg

Any advice on how to take care of these bad boys? I've heard they're fairly easy to maintain once you get them going.
My plan is to have one on either side of our shed (away from my veggie garden) but would they maybe grow better closer to the vegetable garden? And is planting them fairly straight forward?
VERY EXCITED for all of the berry possibilities. I loveee making blueberry & ricotta sourdough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Blueberries need an acidic soil. You may bet lucky and find a good spot but if you have to lower the pH, it takes time. I'd definitely test the soil pH before planting the blueberry bush.

What kind of blueberry is that?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Raspberries don't mind a bit of shade, which is useful if you have a shady place. The other thing about them is they put up runners. They make long lateral roots and then a new plant sprouts from them and makes long lateral roots. It is good to have somewhere that is confined to some degree, mine are surrounded by a couple of trees, a shed, and a path, otherwise you may find you have a raspberry garden in a few years time.
Did you get a label on it? There are two types flowering different times and giving fruit summer or autumn. Nice to have both, if there is no label I guess you will discover which it is soon enough.
Blueberries are pretty new to me too, I had mine in a pot last year, but it didn't look happy so I have planted it out. I am hoping you receive more tips on them :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Blueberries need an acidic soil. You may bet lucky and find a good spot but if you have to lower the pH, it takes time. I'd definitely test the soil pH before planting the blueberry bush.

What kind of blueberry is that?

Thanks so much! I got a couple test strips so I'll test out a few spots! The blueberry plant is the patriot variety - which I read is a great blueberry plant for my neck of the woods since it gets really cold over here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Raspberries don't mind a bit of shade, which is useful if you have a shady place. The other thing about them is they put up runners. They make long lateral roots and then a new plant sprouts from them and makes long lateral roots. It is good to have somewhere that is confined to some degree, mine are surrounded by a couple of trees, a shed, and a path, otherwise you may find you have a raspberry garden in a few years time.
Did you get a label on it? There are two types flowering different times and giving fruit summer or autumn. Nice to have both, if there is no label I guess you will discover which it is soon enough.
Blueberries are pretty new to me too, I had mine in a pot last year, but it didn't look happy so I have planted it out. I am hoping you receive more tips on them :)
The raspberries are boyne variety which I think I saw are a summer bearing (I could be wrong haha) but if they like a bit of shade then posting up next to my shed is probably best! Do you know if the 2 types would grow well together? Perhaps I'll try to find myself the other type as well since I would not mind a raspberry garden at all! My 1 year old lives for raspberries haha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Oh my goodness. Those Fall Gold and Jewel varieties are beautiful :love: the community I moved to is really into plant and seed sharing/swapping so I wonder if I can get my hands on those somewhere soon!

Reaction score
Country
United States
they are both easy to grow, keep the raspberry in pots as they grow and spread fast, really fast! my Gold raspberry is already in a 20 gallon container after yr 2 and looks like it wants a 50 gallon container, Fall Gold also fruit once in early summer and once in the fall, but you can also use DeepRoot Tree Root Barrier if growing in ground, you can grow the BB in ground but wait when it's bigger (for now transplant to a 1-2 gallon container), just make sure to add a lot of peat moss below the root zone when planting and mix 50/50 with the native soil when covering the plant, then adding adding those canadian peat every yr and some sulfur or acidic type fertilizer after yr 2

Ask a Question