First time raspberry grower facing some problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, I am making my first attempt to grow raspberries and tayberries this year and am having some challenges with some of the canes. I've attached some photos below. Long story short, some seem to be doing really well, others not at all. The close up shots are of the problem cane (you can see the successful ones behind - on the left a tayberry on the right a raspberry). It started to sprout but then the leaves withered and it has stopped progressing. Any ideas why and what I can do to save it?
IMG_7318.jpg
IMG_7319.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Did you buy them bare root? Also did you get them through the mail or at a store?

It looks like damage from cold weather.

I got some from a store one time and they had been kept indoors at store temperature 23°C(75°F) and I forgot to harden them off and they looked just like yours after a cold spell.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did you buy them bare root? Also did you get them through the mail or at a store?

It looks like damage from cold weather.

I got some from a store one time and they had been kept indoors at store temperature 23°C(75°F) and I forgot to harden them off and they looked just like yours after a cold spell.
Hey, thanks for replying. No, they came in a small pot and I bought them at a garden centre.

They were being stored outside though so there shouldn't have been any real temperature shock.

Out of interest how do you harden them off?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Hey, thanks for replying. No, they came in a small pot and I bought them at a garden centre.

They were being stored outside though so there shouldn't have been any real temperature shock.

Out of interest how do you harden them off?
You harden them off by slowly introducing them to their new growing conditions but if they were outside they should have been hardened off already. Unless they moved them outside a day or two before you bought them and they didn't harden them off.

Ask a Question