Raspberry Rubus idaeus Sugana (Autumn Fruiting) - Need some help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so I bought this plant and read the guide it says, "Cut back all the old fruited canes to ground-level in February." I have seen a few videos online where people leave the really big strong sticks and cut down the rest to almost the ground level. I have these 3 somewhat thick ones and cutting them would look a struggle. Can I plant this in the ground and keep the 3 canes at the height I bought them. I will attach image of what they look like. Sorry if this question sounds stupid. I'd rather get it right if I can haha

Attachments

• 20220129_211105.jpg
    20220129_211105.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220129_211219.jpg
    20220129_211219.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Yes, leave the canes and plant your Sugana Raspberry (Rubus idaeus 'Sugana') in the ground now. Next February, you will begin to prune out old wood .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so I have planted them in the ground now, leaving the tall sticks. And when you say Next February, do you mean this one coming up now or next year February? and when you say Prune out old wood, you are basically saying cutting down the height to near ground level? I am so sorry haha. I have grown loads of Tomatoes varieties and all other kinds of veg but with these fruit plants I decided to come to a forum, much easier than videos sometimes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Autumn fruiting plants will fruit on the new year's growth so the advice is to take the whole lot down to ground level in the winter so there will be lots of new growth. Personally I leave a couple of long sticks (like you have), because there will still be plenty of new growth and it shows me where the plant is and reminds me not to tread on it. So leave them now and next Feb 2023 take most of it to ground level and just leave a couple of stalks cut short like you now have would be my advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Autumn fruiting plants will fruit on the new year's growth so the advice is to take the whole lot down to ground level in the winter so there will be lots of new growth. Personally I leave a couple of long sticks (like you have), because there will still be plenty of new growth and it shows me where the plant is and reminds me not to tread on it. So leave them now and next Feb 2023 take most of it to ground level and just leave a couple of stalks cut short like you now have would be my advice.
Thank you so much for telling me this! You have all been helpful :) It is good to come here when I need help. Again thank you, will be doing this!

Ask a Question