Indoor Tropical

Reaction score
Heya,

So basically I went to Hawaii a couple of weeks ago. They have the most amazing fragrant plants out there… I’m from Michigan so nothing (that I know of) that grows in Hawaii will probably survive here.

So I bought a couple of plants/stems/seeds and I am attempting to plant them indoors (I HOPE). Problem is I have never done any indoor planting. Normally I just buy plants, dig a whole, place some general topsoil/fertilizer, plant goes into hole, cover with topsoil – voila done! So clearly I need help now!! I’m also panicking because it’s been over a week since I’ve been back so I worry that the plants may die…. Which is why I’m posting when I haven’t done enough research myself.

I bought:
-1 Stephanotis Floribunda (Madagascar Jasmine - vine) – comes in a SUPER small pot
-5 Plumeria (1 in small pot and 4 stems (so no roots on 4 of them)) – tree.. yeah I know I have to prune
-1 Cordyline terminalis (Ti Leaf Plant) in small pot
-1 Cattley Orchid in small pot
-Bird of paradise (Strelitzia Reginae) – 4 seeds
-Wood Rose (Operculina Ruberosa) – 4 seeds (vine)

I understand that you need a pot with holes for drainage. I just learned that I should probably get SMALL pots because with a larger pot it develops it’s root system which may not be what I want????

I can look into sunlight requirements for each… watering requirements are minimal (more like water them well, then let them dry, repeat). What I don’t understand is how big a pot do I plant these in? Soil mixes for each, fertilizers… basically setting it up. I’m not familiar with tropical plants and from my understanding they are very fragile.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Thanks

Ask a Question