Indoor parlor palm and money tree always having issues!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
my parlor palm/bella palm(Camaedorea elegans), and my money tree(pachira aquatica) always have issues. this is the second time ive had a parlor palm and money tree and theyre some of the few plants i cant figure out how to care for. they get scragglier and scragglier and dont grow new leaves fast enough to replace the dead ones! i want them to bounce back.... because the worse they get the more likely i might just have to throw them out. ;w; ive tried a humidifier for the palm, ive tried gravel tray under the pots, and draining pots for them but nothing. i feel like it might be the air and the temperature maybe? they barely get sun. the money tree is by my computer in a room with one east facing window, with a tree in the backyard close to it, and for the palm its in my bedroom that doesnt get as much light as it used to since the window is now being blocked by this annoying tree growing out of the bushes below. the window faces south. the room of the money tree is more cold because its a small room, and the AC blows hard enough to spin the ceiling fan slowly when its off. the palm's room... is my bedroom and i do have a humidifier, i dont use it every day/night tho. only at night. because i like sleeping with fans and a heater on.... sometimes ive forgotten to set a timer on the heater and it gets very hot. so... yeah probably not ideal conditions... i dont know where else to put my leafy plants besides outside. i love having plants in my rooms.... anywhere else in the house and my cat wil eat them. she's already gotten the parlor palm twice when i accidentally left her alone in my room. I dont want to harm them further by repotting them too much.... the money tree hasnt been repotted at all because thats how i killed my last one. Is the sand on top bad? I started doing it when i had problems with bugs and flies but its impossible to check the soil moisture now. I barely water them. the first ones i had i think i killed by overwatering... but these newer ones are still doing bad. I'm at a loss. internet says theyre easy plants but theyre incredibly difficult for me. Im great with succulents, pothos, purple heart, etc. but these are horrible! also there are grow lights in the rooms but theyre for the plants in my vivariums. so not facing/close to these plants.
IMG_5570.jpg
IMG_5569.jpg
IMG_5568.jpg
IMG_5567.jpg
IMG_5566.jpg
IMG_5565.jpg
IMG_5564.jpg
IMG_5563.jpg
IMG_5571.jpg
IMG_5562.jpg
IMG_5561.jpg
IMG_5559.jpg
IMG_5558.jpg
IMG_5557.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
As you have mentioned, there may be several issues affecting your plants: Chamaedorea elegans and Pachira glabra or P. aquatica. They actually don't look that bad in the photos, but if they are declining, they may continue to decline. Remove the dead leaves and monitor for new growth, if any. Do you fertilize your plants? You didn't mention it. Even shade-tolerant plants have their limits. Very low light will make a plant grow very slowly and make it less resistant to disease. If they consistently lose more leaves than they grow, they will die. One thing that often helps ailing houseplants is 'summering' them outside for awhile in bright shade or patial sun. In Houston you should be able to do this even into the Fall. You could even set them out while you are away for the day and bring them in at night. Neither plant is particularly sensitive to overwatering. The sand is not necessarily detrimental, but I agree that it may be more trouble than it is worth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
A lot of people don’t realize it but most plant roots need oxygen. Your sand may be forming a seal that is not letting the roots get the oxygen they need. I definitely agree with Marcks suggestion of putting them outside as long as the weather permits. The only plants we keep indoors during the summer are our African Violets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
my parlor palm/bella palm(Camaedorea elegans), and my money tree(pachira aquatica) always have issues. this is the second time ive had a parlor palm and money tree and theyre some of the few plants i cant figure out how to care for. they get scragglier and scragglier and dont grow new leaves fast enough to replace the dead ones! i want them to bounce back.... because the worse they get the more likely i might just have to throw them out. ;w; ive tried a humidifier for the palm, ive tried gravel tray under the pots, and draining pots for them but nothing. i feel like it might be the air and the temperature maybe? they barely get sun. the money tree is by my computer in a room with one east facing window, with a tree in the backyard close to it, and for the palm its in my bedroom that doesnt get as much light as it used to since the window is now being blocked by this annoying tree growing out of the bushes below. the window faces south. the room of the money tree is more cold because its a small room, and the AC blows hard enough to spin the ceiling fan slowly when its off. the palm's room... is my bedroom and i do have a humidifier, i dont use it every day/night tho. only at night. because i like sleeping with fans and a heater on.... sometimes ive forgotten to set a timer on the heater and it gets very hot. so... yeah probably not ideal conditions... i dont know where else to put my leafy plants besides outside. i love having plants in my rooms.... anywhere else in the house and my cat wil eat them. she's already gotten the parlor palm twice when i accidentally left her alone in my room. I dont want to harm them further by repotting them too much.... the money tree hasnt been repotted at all because thats how i killed my last one. Is the sand on top bad? I started doing it when i had problems with bugs and flies but its impossible to check the soil moisture now. I barely water them. the first ones i had i think i killed by overwatering... but these newer ones are still doing bad. I'm at a loss. internet says theyre easy plants but theyre incredibly difficult for me. Im great with succulents, pothos, purple heart, etc. but these are horrible! also there are grow lights in the rooms but theyre for the plants in my vivariums. so not facing/close to these plants.View attachment 85191View attachment 85179View attachment 85180View attachment 85181View attachment 85182View attachment 85183View attachment 85184View attachment 85185View attachment 85178View attachment 85186View attachment 85187View attachment 85188View attachment 85189View attachment 85190
I have 3 of the money tree. And the first thing you look for is a death basket. My 3 all had tiny plastic baskets on or in the root ball constricting them. No idea why they do this other then to make you buy more. I worked with a gentleman from Japan who owns a local Bonsai store. He told me that most of these plants around here are taken care of wrong as they are from a very wet area and need good. It not bright light and water every couple of days as well as loose soil. If the soil is compacted it constricts the roots and they don’t flourish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 3 of the money tree. And the first thing you look for is a death basket. My 3 all had tiny plastic baskets on or in the root ball constricting them. No idea why they do this other then to make you buy more. I worked with a gentleman from Japan who owns a local Bonsai store. He told me that most of these plants around here are taken care of wrong as they are from a very wet area and need good. It not bright light and water every couple of days as well as loose soil. If the soil is compacted it constricts the roots and they don’t flourish.

Ask a Question