Indoor garden design

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello all,
We are in the development process of our new home. We are designing our own plans and were wondering if there is something special (IE: anything that you wish you would have thought of when designing your own indoor garden, tips?...) that we can/should do now to make things easier later on.

The goal is for my wife and I to be able to grow all or close to all the vegetables we need.

There will be two rooms; one for vegetables and seedlings that are OK with 18/6 on/off light schedule and vegetables that are OK with 12/12.

Both rooms are located in the basement which has cement foundation floor and walls.

Thanks in advance,
John

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't you have a garden? Growing veggies need to see the sunshine and rain as well as insects. The only thing I would consider growing in a basement is mushrooms.
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi
Don't you have a garden? Growing veggies need to see the sunshine and rain as well as insects. The only thing I would consider growing in a basement is mushrooms.
Welcome to the forums :)
Hi Tetters,
We will be growing all year round with LED lights.
We have a 2 month summer and 10 month winter here.

We will be replacing insects with artificial pollinating and rain with hydroponic growing.
Thanks for the reply
Cheers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your project sounds really interesting. I hope you'll post pictures as your project develops. I've only had limited experience with growing under artificial lights, but I know in certain situations it is becoming the preferred option for some commercial growers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hi Tetters,
We will be growing all year round with LED lights.
We have a 2 month summer and 10 month winter here.

We will be replacing insects with artificial pollinating and rain with hydroponic growing.
Thanks for the reply
Cheers
Well I wish you both all the luck in the world - have you ever thought of moving somewhere warmer? I would.

Ask a Question