My indoor cannabis garden. Mixture of soil and water to waste hydroponics. Let's do it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy ho fellow gardeners! I've been an avid legal cannabis gardener for over 12 years. I began growing medical cannabis legally for my wife after she suffered a bout with throat cancer. Radiation had her down to skin and bones and she nearly lost her life from malnutrition. She went through 6 weeks of brutal radiation that left her throat scorched and scarred. But the cancer was eliminated, and she's alive. Not only is she alive, but she's been cancer free since. I began making cannabis infused coconut oil for her to ingest orally to stimulate her appetite and allow her a good night's sleep. My journey has continued and evolved over the years. I myself suffer from crippling bi-polar disorder. I take 6 00 sized coconut hash capsules each day to keep my symptoms under control. Without them I cannot be in the company of other people due to my mental illness. I literally garden for life, but don't we all? :)

I have been growing in water to waste 5 gallon black buckets using a system known as hempy buckets. They are also known as dutch buckets or bat-o buckets. So what the heck is it? A 5 gallon bucket. Take a 1/2 inch drill bit. Measure up 2 inches from the bottom of the bucket. Drill a hole. Fill the bucket with #4 chunky perlite. The large #4 perlite will not fall through the hole you've drilled when you water your plant(s). The plants are watered with a hydroponic fertilizer every other day. The plants drink from the small water table which is where the root ball will predominantly form. As the plants grow in size sometimes watering frequency increases to once per day or even twice per day. That's a good and a bad thing, right? :) Big plants with more fruit, but more labor to get to the finish line. God does not reward those who are lazy in life nor the garden :)

I'm now beginning to get back into soil gardening as well. I have a desire to grow organic vegetables and cannabis in the future, so I am not exclusively a hydroponic gardener. I would love to answer any questions you may have, and hopefully give you some great ideas on how you can grow your own hydroponic vegetables or cannabis. I'm actually getting ready to pull a few tomato starts out of my clone tote and into soil so that I can transplant them outside in the garden. Just waiting for the darn whether to warm :)

For my fertilizer I use and recommend Jack's 5-12-26 with calcium nitrate and epsom salt as part of the Jack's 3-2-1 system. PH adjusted to 5.8. The solution is stable for up to 8 days. Zero PH movement. Zero heavy metals. J.R. Peters has been in business since the 40's if I remember correctly. They are a leader in professional fertilizer manufacturer and supply. Cheap to boot :)

I use 6 stage reverse osmosis water which auto fills into my reservoirs on float valves from the RO unit. Easy peezy lemon squeezy :)

This room contains 9 plants. 9 very large plants :)
20210312_164856.jpg
20210312_164809.jpg

Tomato just coming out of my DIY 27 gallon clone tote powered by an 800GHP fountain pump and my custom 1/2 inch PVC manifold with spray nozzles:
20210329_161438.jpg

Clone tote with a mixture of tomato plants and cannabis plants:
20210329_161429.jpg

My holly hock in soil. She's going outside as soon as it warms enough:
20210329_161416.jpg

Lemon balm:
20210329_161409.jpg

Corn, tomatos, wild flowers, cabbage, and of course some cannabis plants:
20210329_161322.jpg
20210329_161311.jpg

Blue dream under a single 360w Geyapex COB with bridgelux bloom lights. I am actually testing this light for the manufacturer. They gave me a sample to journal and record my results. Seems like a fantastic light as you can see:
20210328_205404.jpg
20210328_205353.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Very interesting. I can see how this could transition into vegetable seedlings such as tomatoes and peppers being transplanted into ground soil but at what monetary cost. RO, the lights and everything else would seem to be rather pricey. Perhaps I am behind the times but I have never seen or tasted tomatoes hydroponically grown that had close to the flavor of a ground grown tomato.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting. I can see how this could transition into vegetable seedlings such as tomatoes and peppers being transplanted into ground soil but at what monetary cost. RO, the lights and everything else would seem to be rather pricey. Perhaps I am behind the times but I have never seen or tasted tomatoes hydroponically grown that had close to the flavor of a ground grown tomato.
That's an excellent point! I've been debating about transitioning back to soil for my cannabis garden specifically because the flavor profile isn't even close to soil grown cannabis. In the last 2 years of growing hydroponically I have only experienced 1 instance in which my flowers were indistinguishable from soil grown flowers. The quality was just phenomenal. I attribute the difference in quality to a change in fertilizer. On that specific flower cycle I ran Jack's 5-12-26 with calcium nitrate and epsom salt at 1.65 EC or about 775 ppm on the 500 scale. I then switched to a cannabis specific fertilizer and both the flavor and burn qualities of the dried flowers are less than desirable. So much so that I have switched back to Jack's 5-12-26 and am now running side by side soil tests to compare my results. If the hydroponic flowers grown with jack's 5-12-26 are just as aromatic and flavorful as my soil grown cannabis, then I want for nothing more and will keep my garden on water to waste hydroponics. Why? Faster growth and I have a bad back. Hauling dirt in and out is no easy task for me. Moving water with pumps is much easier. Getting old sucks, right? :)

Very interesting. I can see how this could transition into vegetable seedlings such as tomatoes and peppers being transplanted into ground soil but at what monetary cost.
Disregard the flower room photos. Look at the grow tent. That 5x5x6.5' tent was purchased for $110. The lights? $187.50 shipped. 1 inline fan to move the air in and out? $115. A little honeywell fan to hang from inside the tent for gentle air movement? $15. You're in business for under $500 and your equipment will last you 5-10 years depending on how gentle you are with it. Far cheaper than a green house. I just looked at a small one harbor freight sells and they want almost $500! My eyeballs almost popped outta my head. I can't wait to place my plants outside to my neighbor's surprise when they see just how developed and large they are. Should get a few cute comments and smiles :)

Last year I threw squirrel feed out that contained corn kernels in my front yard on a bare spot where a tree sump sits. I had 15 or 20 corn stalks growing and 30 or 40 sun flowers on that baron patch of tree stump. The squirrels climbed the sunflower stalks, chewed off the flowers, then the fat little furballs carried them into the tree where they ate them. They hacked down the corn stalks and ate the corn. What can I say? Nature entertains me. People? Not so much :)

Perhaps I am behind the times but I have never seen or tasted tomatoes hydroponically grown that had close to the flavor of a ground grown tomato.

I agree with your statement. Flavorless hydroponically grown vegetables is a pervasive problem. In the cannabis industry it's even worse. Most dispensary cannabis is hydroponically grown by people that aren't very knowledgeable about plants. They just want to grow pot so they don't have to get a real job or what have you. Generally not the most intelligent people in the world. They feed their plants 6 different bottles of liquid hydroponic fertilizer and the resulting flowers taste atrocious. The flavor is often that of chemicals. Unpleasant would be an understatement. And the problem is pervasive.

My present experiment is to prove that hydroponically grown vegetables and cannabis can be just as flavorful, wonderful, and nutritious as organic soil grown veggies and cannabis. I'm very excited to see and post my results!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
By the way, all of the tomatoes with the exception of 1 will be placed in a soil garden outside next week. 1 will go into a 5 gallon hempy bucket in #4 chunky perlite and will sit in the garden. I will water her daily by hand. If the tomatoes don't make the best dam BLT I ever had then I give up on hydroponically grown veggies :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Curious to know how the experiment is going? Personally, I don’t think it can be done. Soil will win everytime. Soil is still such a mystery & there’s definitely something going on that we have yet to discover.

Also, just saw the tragedy about your spider Farmer LED burning up :eek: :mad: Crazy:poop:

Ask a Question