Complete novice seeking general advice for growing indoors

Seb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was hoping I could get some advice please. I am a complete novice and have no gardening experience.

I have decided I would like to start trying to grow some very easy indoor plants, in particular things I can use for meals such as salads etc... It will also be an interesting new little hobby that I think I would really like, but really have no clue where to start, or if it is even doable.

I live in a flat, so indoor is my only option, and have no balcony or anything like that so it really would be growing inside on a windowsill. First of all, what can I actually even realistically grow indoors? Cress is an obvious easy example, but what else? Baby Beetroot? Radish? Any kinds of tomatoes? Also, what herbs could I easily grow? Anything like Basil, Coriander etc...?

Ideally the kitchen window would be the place to do this, but it is on the opposite side to that which gets the brunt of the sun in the Summer months, that being my living room window. I have a nice long windowsill that I could fit plenty of plants on, that will get a good 8 hours of sun in the peak of Summer, but is also above the radiator I use for drying washing so I am not sure if that will make growing things impossible, or whether the extra heat is either a good thing or makes no difference.

I also want this to be quite a cheap endeavour, and see I can get very cheap plant pots and trays, as well as seeds and well reviewed indoor soil from Wilko, so don't have any interest in having to use any special lighting or anything.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if I haven't given any other obvious information, as I say I am entirely new to this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sounds like your focus is on garden type plants and not indoor plants. Mint should grow well in your sunny window. It is easy to root in water and plant. Many varieties and fragrances. Sprouts of a variety of types will save you on your groceries. There are radish, broccoli, bean, alfalfa seeds to sprout and probably others I have not tried. You can buy seeds in bulk pretty cheap. here’s the first site that came up but should give you some key words to explore further.Growing Sprouts and micro greens

Beyond that I’d say give leafy greens a try. Experiment and enjoy the successes.

Someone else here may have tried other things.

Seb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, Jewell :)

I'll take a look at that link you posted.

Microgreens are something I didn't know anything about really, but look like they might be a good option.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Consider getting yourself a shallow tupperware aquarium & building a DIY hydroponic lid. It might sound high-tech but personally I find it easier, cleaner, & more accessible than potted plants.

A good simple setup would be a long shallow bin that you brace with wood or plastic strips across the top with heavy globs of epoxy. Buy a bubbler from the aquarium store & fill with de-chlorinated water.

Essentially the way it all works, is your plants butt-chug nutrients from the water column. The roots will also dangle in the water creating a space for fish to dwell. The roots will act as a natural filter for the fish & provide nutrients to the plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just remember all plants need three thing , just as we do. Water, nourishing soil, and good sunlight. Not direct sun, as it will quickly dry out the soil. soil needs to contain the proper nutrients. water , but not enough to drown the plant. Best for your garden is to learn what your plants needs. READ! READ! READ!

Ask a Question