Indoor Yucca looks unhealthy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I’ve had my indoor yucca for around 3 years now. It’s always been pretty healthy - we have it in a Lechuza self watering pot so it drinks what it needs, it’s next to a window so has light and close to a radiator which it seems to like.
However, it’s recently not looking so great. The leaves are drooping and the soil on top is really damp which I’m surprised at as it’s in self watering pot. The trunk itself isn’t soft but it does wobble quite a bit.
I recently moved it to another room for a week while I had some work done in the flat. It still had light but the trunk was wobbly on the way back so I compressed the soil as much as I could...(not sure I should have done that?) I also added fertiliser...suspect I may have added too much. It also had a lot of dust on the leaves from the work... which I have now wiped off.

I can’t decide if I should repot it? Because of the multiple changes - stress of move, compression of the soil, over fertilisation and dust on leaves I’m not sure if I should leave it for a while longer and see it recovers? Or I should take action straight away? It’s been looking sad now for about 3/4 weeks.
Any advice would be really appreciated!
I have a lot of Lechuza Pon potting mix left - if I repotted it I think I’d repot it in that? Unless anyone has any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 69A75234-696C-4CC0-8F7A-F91CEA048E16.jpeg
    69A75234-696C-4CC0-8F7A-F91CEA048E16.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no experience with Yucca, so I can't give you specific advice, but I will make some general points.
It sounds like it has had some general disturbance, roots crushed, moved, dusty, cleaned, fed; things have been different lately. Patience is a great thing with plants, they take their time. I should give it plenty of time to settle down and find its normal before you do anything else to it.
The other thing is that, although I don't know Yuccas specifically, none of the things you have listed sound fatal, or even all that serious individually, so try not to worry too much. Hopefully there is a yucca expert can give you more specific advice as well, but it looks like a pretty established plant to me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Oliver! I thought that be the case - I’m a nervous plant owner and wanted someone else’s view :) thank you

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry I`m not as upbeat as Oliver about your Yucca. For a start I wouldn`t trust a pot that is supposed to be self watering. How does a pot know what kind of plant is in it?
You said the plant is wet. It should not be, and this is what will usually be the cause of a potted Yucca to die.
This is a drought tolerant plant that is best kept dry and is best with absolute minimum water. At that height it would be better in a bigger, heavier pot with ordinary compost -one part, to three parts of grit or sharp sand. It does not need to be fed either, and thrives on neglect.

I hope you can be successful in saving it, good luck, and welcome to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I've never seen a handsome yucca before, but speaking of growing/environment conditions, this is what our natives looks like.
Hi
I’ve had my indoor yucca for around 3 years now. It’s always been pretty healthy - we have it in a Lechuza self watering pot so it drinks what it needs, it’s next to a window so has light and close to a radiator which it seems to like.
However, it’s recently not looking so great. The leaves are drooping and the soil on top is really damp which I’m surprised at as it’s in self watering pot. The trunk itself isn’t soft but it does wobble quite a bit.
I recently moved it to another room for a week while I had some work done in the flat. It still had light but the trunk was wobbly on the way back so I compressed the soil as much as I could...(not sure I should have done that?) I also added fertiliser...suspect I may have added too much. It also had a lot of dust on the leaves from the work... which I have now wiped off.

I can’t decide if I should repot it? Because of the multiple changes - stress of move, compression of the soil, over fertilisation and dust on leaves I’m not sure if I should leave it for a while longer and see it recovers? Or I should take action straight away? It’s been looking sad now for about 3/4 weeks.
Any advice would be really appreciated!
I have a lot of Lechuza Pon potting mix left - if I repotted it I think I’d repot it in that? Unless anyone has any advice?
Your Yucca sure appears healthier than those that are native on the prairie. This one has possibly been there long before I was born.

Attachments

• Yucca fence corner - Ks-2020.jpg
    Yucca fence corner - Ks-2020.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 62
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only Yucca I have had was planted here by a well meaning individual who was ''helping'' It was growing outside and had a root that went down through the earth to the vicinity of the antipodes. It was a heck of a job to dig it out for the bonfire, but we had to get rid of it because of the spikes - they would have injured children if they fell on it. Being a camping site, it really was not a suitable plant to keep.

Ask a Question