Bringing trees indoors

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I am in zone 7 US. I bought some tropical trees (avocado, sweetsop, guava, lime) and put them outside in pots for the summer. They have been thriving outside but I know they will die for sure if left out in the winter. The weather will soon start cooling off so I want to be prepared before then. How can I ensure my trees will survive the winter indoors? Should I bring them in in phases (6 hours indoors, 6 outdoors, 6 in, 6 out)? Should I buy grow lights and plant heaters? How should I care for these indoors? Please help a newbie out! Thank you :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Overwintering full-sun trees indoors is similar to keeping bright-light houseplants, except the trees are usually larger and sometimes less tolerant of dry indoor air. They will want bright light in Winter, especially in more northerly climes where the day length will be shorter. Put them inside behind your largest and sunniest south-facing windows. East or west windows may suffice if necessary. North-facing windows only as a last resort. Even though they want sun, do monitor the plants after moving them to make sure there is no leaf scorch developing from the sudden transition. Also monitor them for pests, such as spider mites.

For awhile, in Autumn, you can indeed move the trees outdoors for the day, and take them in at night. The trees may enjoy it, but that is a lot of extra work, so you decide.

Artificial grow lights can also be beneficial, but they are a significant expense and will require some study and experimentation to be used most effectively. I doubt you would need an extra heater unless your house stays remarkably cold in Winter. You may consider using a humidifier; depending on the species it could be a big help or completely unnecessary.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Go with the very brightest spot you can. Keep them a little dryer than you normally would. They will be semi-dormant and don't need as much water. Expect lots of leaves on the floor. Try moving them to a very shady place outside for a month or so before you bring them in. This will begin to approximate the lower light they will be getting inside. A humidifier is an excellent idea. There is no need for extra heaters as long as the temperature in the house is above freezing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you Marck and Cpp gardener!!

I will follow your suggestions! Hopefully after all this, they will survive the winter :)

Ask a Question