Indoor/Outdoor Container vs Outdoor Garden

Reaction score
For the past two years or so, I have tried growing herbs in containers outdoors. I start them off indoors until it gets warmer out and then bring them outdoors permanently. Usually they do alright - sometimes having issues growing initially but they start to adjust quickly once brought outdoors. This year, I have a bit more land space in my garden outdoors and I am wondering if it would be better to grown them there instead of the usual containers I put them in. I have heard that giving the roots more space (unlike a container) could result in better greens. I would appreciate it if anyone with experience on either side could offer an opinion on this; thanks! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Herbs don't required too much root space and in my opinion easiest tended to in containers. You really don't need much more than a 1 gallon for most herbs (at the minimum), although a large container with a assortment of herbs is very nice, In containers they are also attractive, smell good and decorative in proximity to a patio, porch or kitchen (I guess that would apply to a small garden of herbs also). I always felt that maintenance and pest monitoring was much easier in a container also. The only real disadvantage is if you goal is to grow a large volume, then containers are not so good.

In your post you say " I have heard that giving the roots more space (unlike a container) could result in better greens."

This sounds more applicable to vegetables rather than your typical herbs such a Marjoram, Rosemary, Thyme, Savory and Sage... There are a few herbs that I do see applicable to your statement, herbs that can be ground herbs in addition to container herbs, those would be Parsley, Oregano, Green Onions and Cilantro. They get used in larger quantities with some people, some grow and mature fairly quick and bolt easy so one often would want many planted and to plant them in cycle to ensure there is always some on the ready. With Marjoram, Rosemary, Thyme and Savory a few plants can go a long way and can easily be maintain in containers. Basil is kind of between the two groups but I prefer it in containers.

:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been told that vegetables are bigger and produce more if planted in the ground rather than in containers. Has anyone heard the same thing?

Ask a Question