Indoor Hydroponics (Bell Peppers)

Kristof

Brandywine Heirloom 750gm
Reaction score
Country
United States
20160526_145052.jpgDSCF9101.JPG

I plan to make a PDF explaining all this. They are growing real fast (3 weeks).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What was the start-up cost? I'm trying to learn more about indoor gardening, just in case my next place doesn't have outdoor access (that would be sad but it's a possibility). I'm familiar with hydroponics but haven't tried it myself yet. That looks like good growth for only three weeks so I'm intrigued!

Reaction score
I always use bell pepper in some of my recipes when I am cooking. I remembered there was a time when I tried to grow this kind of vegetable but unfortunately it was not a success. This indoor hydroponics is interesting. Thanks for sharing this post :)

Kristof

Reaction score
Country
United States
This endeavour cost me $1000 for the system you see here and another $1000 for trial and error. This is over seven years, maybe ten seasons. I always screw up peppers but they are currently flowering and growing great.

I might use this system to start plants indoors and make a hydroponics system outside. Any ideas about hydroponics systems that go outside with no greenhouse?

Kristof

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plan is to have a 55gallon drum reservoir under ground level (mostly buried except the top) with 20ish 3.5 gallon buckets with hydroton in them getting dripped. The buckets will be sitting on 8inch boards on cinder blocks(8inches above ground). There will be a 2inch return drain coming from each bucket. The return drain will connect in a way that there will be some water left in the bottom of the bucket. The buckets will be 2 ft apart.

The Urban Farmer

Founder of The-Urban-Farmer.com
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
United States
Awesome! Your peppers look great. Lot of nitrogen in that nutrient mix i see!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are in our second season of experimenting with hydroponics. I think the experimentation will continue for years to come, especially with an openness to growing beyond greens and herbs; like with this Coleus:

Ask a Question