Indoor gardens?

Reaction score
Outside my window right now is a white winter wonderland. I miss my garden. In the past I have tried an AeroGarden to grow herbs all winter but I have never tried anything else. Id like to grow herbs, lettuces, and a few other small things to get us through until the ground thaws out and we can start our garden again.
How do you grow things indoors?

Reaction score
I only ever have houseplants, nothing edible or really useful. I can't wait for the spring thaw so I can start gardening again too. I live in USDA zone 3 in Canada so my window of opportunity is quite slim each year and what I can grow is limited.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here's a clever idea for indoor gardening, though I admit I would be concerned about the weight and if it would actually work.
window-herbs-suction-cup-planters.jpg

Reaction score
Those are super cute! Sometimes that matters more then it should to me. Our growing season isnt very long but I try to grow enough to last us all winter as well. I can, dehydrate and freeze everything I can to help offset the winter food budget too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You'll find that "cute" is very big with us city gardeners, lol. I've been thinking about dehydrating and freezing. If I start growing in larger amounts I am going to have to figure out what to do with the extra stuff. I would love to have some dehydrated seasonal stuff to use in soups in the winter.

Reaction score
I have found a few things that can be grown indoors that are eatable. Lettuce, tomatoes, and more recently since I found out I am allergic to sugar I am trying to grow my own Stevia. I found three starter plants at one of the grocery stores, they sort of died off, but one has a shoot still fighting to live. I left home for a month and didn't expect it to live but its still growing so I think I may have over watered it before, but I am not sure.

Reaction score
Those are cute but I can't imagine them staying in the window. If they did my kids would have them knocked down anyway. I would love to grow more indoors during the winter but I just don't have the light it needs and I don't want to run lights all day when I'm not home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, these containers look so funny and interesting - and they're transparent so you can see the roots. I'm running out of space on my windowsill so maybe I should look for something like these:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, I sometimes wonder if seeing the roots is a good thing, but so many people have plants growing in glass both in soil and in water. I guess as long as you are not growing something like carrots (they will be discolored) it's okay to use something that is see-through.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think watching the roots might be quite interesting. Sometimes they aren't very nice but sometimes they can look almost like a lace:)

Reaction score
I might do this indoor coffee can look. Since I'm a caffeine addict, I always have coffee cans and containers in the house.

63cde1995f089dbbaf245a29aaf404ed.jpg

463c19714f7f1da2ff7251544670bc25.jpg

cd89db06f7bbbf4a16ea672c72af2fc9.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These cans look really nice!:D
I'd love to have an indoor herb garden like this:

Indoor-Herb-Garden1.jpg

It looks surreal:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
These cans look really nice!:D
I'd love to have an indoor herb garden like this:

Claudine, every kitchen should have an herb garden something like this. At the very least, a breakfast room just off the kitchen should have something like this instead of a window box if possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It would be wonderful:D Like being indoors and outdoors at the same time:p . It just looks so gorgeous, much better and more interesting than regular flowerpots. I also love these big windows.

Ask a Question