Increase Your Harvest of Cucumbers

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States

When a cucumber is taken from the vine let it be cut with a knife, leaving about an eighth of an inch of the cucumber on the stem, then slit the stem with the knife from its end to the vine leaving a small portion of the cucumber on each division and on each separate slip there will be a new cucumber as large as the first.
This tip was on Pinterest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing! It's a very helpful advice. I love cucumbers, I find them yummy and I plan to grow them this year. The more cucumbers, the better!:)

Reaction score

When a cucumber is taken from the vine let it be cut with a knife, leaving about an eighth of an inch of the cucumber on the stem, then slit the stem with the knife from its end to the vine leaving a small portion of the cucumber on each division and on each separate slip there will be a new cucumber as large as the first.
This tip was on Pinterest.
Thanks for the information! I have grown cukes for many years and that is something that I wasn't aware of. My yield is generally pretty good but I am always willing to try things that will increase it.

Reaction score
I love the things I learn on this forum. I like cucumbers but since my yard is small I thin my cucumbers to two plants. This will be a big boost to my bounty without taking more space!

Reaction score
This is a great tip, thank you so much! I use cucumbers so often and in so many things, I honestly don't know if I could ever grow enough, haha.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I counted 35 cucumbers, on the way, from 4 poly-tunnel plants, having already filled a refridgerator drawer.
Do I want a bigger harvest?

I may try it on one, just for interest's sake.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Tis the Devil's vegetable :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow 35 from 4 plants?! :eek: My favourite way to eat cucumber at the moment is to use a peeler to cut it into ribbons and then add a tablespoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of rice vinegar. Gorgeous accompaniment to a salad :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Wow 35 from 4 plants?! :eek: My favourite way to eat cucumber at the moment is to use a peeler to cut it into ribbons and then add a tablespoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of rice vinegar. Gorgeous accompaniment to a salad :)
Not ready yet to eat, but past the proto-cucumber stage.
I'll be going down there, I'll try to remember to take a photo to post.
garden11072009002-1.jpg

garden11072009001-2.jpg

In the meantime, here's 2 photos of my first attempt to grow cukes in a 6x4 polythene growhouse:

Reaction score
That is actually advice I never heard of, but I am gonna try it. And I like how everyone has their cucumbers all neat and tidy. Then I look in my garden at my cucumber plants and I just let them grow wild and oddly enough they are doing a great job, I can't keep up on eating the yield, so I have been having to pickle them.

Reaction score
I only ever plant two plants, the four of us love cucumber, and those two plants keep us going all summer, my trick is to pollinate with a small artists paint brush, that way every flower as it appears is bound to develop a fruit, yes cucumbers are a fruit, not a vegetable !
I keep the plants going with a feed of liquid fertiliser once a week, and a gallon (UK) of water per day, over two waterings.

Ask a Question