This year's increase of dragonflies?

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that there have been a lot more dragonflies flying around their garden this year? I totally don't mind, since I find them absolutely beautiful, but I was just talking to my uncle-in-law about how there seem to be a lot more of them out this year. I live in New England, so maybe it is just area-specific, but I definitely don't mind having the pretty little creatures around more! Have you noticed more dragonflies around your garden this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
On the contrary, in my garden, there are less dragonflies than last year. So far, I've only seen a few of them. And I always look for them when I'm outside, because I find them beautiful too:)
Who knows, maybe some of my dragonflies left my area and moved to yours:p

Reaction score
We don't get a whole lot of them around normally anyway, but I haven't seen any this year come to think of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We had a few earlier this year, but then it got hot, and I don't remember seeing any more dragon flies after that, but we had frogs and frogs, and more frogs. Maybe they ate the dragonflies ?
We didn't even have many mosquitoes at all , for most of the summer, with all of the mating frogs out there, but now the frogs have gone and the mosquitoes are back , and they are ravenous this year ! I have to wear repellant if I even venture out onto the back porch, and evening watering is terrible, even with repellant.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Old England & we've had a lot this year, must have been a good breeding year for them 3/4 years ago, think most of the uk was flooded then.

Reaction score
I love dragonflies but I don't see a ton of them on Florida, just a couple here and there. I haven't noticed an increase in dragonflies around here, just more gnats.

Reaction score
There are a lot dragonflies in the Netherlands, my future mother in law's garden is flooded with them! She loves taking bugs pictures tho, so she's really happy about it! I have seen none where I live tho, so I think it depends a lot on the country you are living.

Reaction score
no more this year than the couple years before that i noticed. when i dug my pond it drew more than i had seen before, but it's been about 3 years now and the handfull flying around prettymuch seems the same each year.

Reaction score
I live in Alabama and I have noticed that there are more dragonflies out than there use to be. I commented to my sister about that and she agreed with me. I basically see them just about everywhere and like everyone else here I think they are pretty too.

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a lot grasshopers as well? Over here we have been seeing a lot of those lately! Most of them appear to be dead, but others are alive and kicking. They seem to be all over the city. This made me wonder... are we the only ones?

Reaction score
I haven't see that many grasshoppers here. I wonder what has happened to them. I have seen a lot of crickets though.

Reaction score
They were everywhere some weeks ago, even in the city! One of them fell on my head, lol. They were in the garage, in the garden, in the parks... I told my mom: ''this looks like some sort of biblical curse!''. I really hope that's not the case, today they seem to be dissipating :) Must be because winter is getting closer ;)

Reaction score
Yeah they are getting scarce here too. I use to see a lot of them now I see very few since the weather has started to cool down.

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that there have been a lot more dragonflies flying around their garden this year? I totally don't mind, since I find them absolutely beautiful, but I was just talking to my uncle-in-law about how there seem to be a lot more of them out this year. I live in New England, so maybe it is just area-specific, but I definitely don't mind having the pretty little creatures around more! Have you noticed more dragonflies around your garden this year?

Yes I have noticed more dragonflies around my garden. I live in Central Florida and we usually have a good amount of dragonflies around normally, but I've noticed more lately. Dragonflies are great hunters when it comes to other flying insects so I’m sure it won’t hurt to have them around your garden.

Ask a Question