Increase Your Harvest of Cucumbers

Reaction score
Unless fall and winter are greatly delayed, I won't get a chance to try this trick. My cucumbers aren't even blooming yet. The same for all my melons, and the beans are slow to blossom. The weather has been all over the place this year. Winter was slow to leave, and we are going from hot to cool every few days. They plants don't seem to know what season it is supposed to be :cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
121-Copy.jpg
118-Copy.jpg
117-Copy.jpg
115-Copy.jpg
114-Copy.jpg

Lots of cukes at different stages.
Photo taken approx. noon BST today.
Outstanding! Who says organics is just a gimmick

Reaction score
I didn't know that there were people trying to increase their cucumber yield. Most people I know that grow cucumbers have too many and are trying to find ways to use them up or give them away.

Reaction score
I have never seen any use stakes with their cucumbers. I just let mine grow on the ground. Does this help produce more? Do you stake them to just make them neater? I might have to try that and see how I like it better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have never seen any use stakes with their cucumbers. I just let mine grow on the ground. Does this help produce more? Do you stake them to just make them neater? I might have to try that and see how I like it better.
These cucumbers are growing indoors, where space is at a premium, so I use 3 dimensions instead of 2.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I grow mine on concrete reinforcment wire mesh that has 6" x 6" openings. I have found that by growing them on the ground I lose some from rot and lose a lot more from varmints than by growing on a trellis. Plus it is easier to inspect and maintain and harvest than when on the ground. It also saves a lot of space that you could be growing tomatos in. Just think about how much area is taken up by 8 or 10 sprawling cucumber vines that you have to wade through and how many cucs end up hidden underneath all that foliage. And not only that but if you live in the south don't forget about snakes. They love to hide out under all of that foliage where it is nice an cool.

Reaction score
Luckily, I don't live in the south to worry about snakes. Now, deer and rabbit, yes! For such cute animals, they cause a ton of damage. I am going to have to use a trellis next year.

Reaction score
Interesting! I planted just 2 plants this year, and so far have picked 5 cucs with another few still growing. Another tip is to pick regularly, so that the plant can hear it's efforts into the remaining cucs attached to the plant.

Reaction score
I use old tree branches for my cucumbers, it keeps them off the ground and keeps them from turning yellow on one side because I don't have the time to turn them everyday. It also is a space saver for sure for those who have smaller gardens :)

Ask a Question