How to increase self watering Seedling tray soil Temp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I live in New England, (CT). I have started some oinon seeds in my basement, temp in basement ranges from 50 to 60 degrees. I have the seedling in a self watering tray (Burpee) with 2 120-Watt Agro Plant Light BR40 Flood Light Bulb about 8 to 10 inches above the tray, on for about 12 to 14 hrs. I also have a Elfin Growth Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat under the tray. I am using a small fan to circulate the air to help keep white, fluffy fungus from growing. My soil temp is about 60 digress. I would like to increase it to about 75 if I could. I would not like to put a cover over seedling tray as I think this will promote white, fluffy fungus. Any thoughts or ideas on how to rase the soil temp would be a great help. I was thinking of adding a fish tank heater to heat the water up in the tray, thought?
IMG_0742.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Onion seeds might sprout at 60F but they will probably rot before they do. You don't need light, just heat for germination, and you are correct, the best temp is 75F. Just move them anywhere where it is really warm until they sprout. Like next to your furnace or put them into your oven. Unless it is really cold onion seedlings can withstand cool temps just fine. What they really need after sprouting is a LOT of sunlight.

That white fluffy stuff on the top of the soil might be and probably is a fungus called tricoderma. Tricoderma is beneficial as it eats harmful fungi. Get some whole ground, stone ground or horticultural cornmeal, NOT the enriched stuff like Aunt Jemima and sprinkle it lightly over the top of the soil. This encourages tricoderma to grow

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Cover your tray; nearly all seed cases will stick to your seedlings, damaging them if the atmosphere isn't humid enough to soften them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for all the suggestions and info, I put a Mini Aquarium Heater in the self watering try which brought up the water temp, in turn brought up the temp of the soil. I also added the try cover.

Ask a Question