Noticing any Price Increases?

Reaction score
I had to go to Lowes last week to pick up a few items and of course I had to stop by the garden section. I noticed that the prices of plants/trees in general are higher than they seemed to be last year. One thing in particular that caught my eye was the prices of succulents and cactus. I love to stop and look at these darlings every time I visit the garden center. I saw plants that cost upwards of the $20 mark. They were a fair size but they were all in plain jane pots that you would probably transfer them to something and and I was just a little overwhelmed at the prices.

Has anyone else noticed this lately?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's everywhere and everything. Last year I bought a gallon of molasses for $7. I ran out last week and went into town to get another. Same exact thing now costs $13. Since I only seldom go into town I dropped by the grocery store. I am just now getting over the sticker shock. Beef is completely over the top. To buy even a chicken will cause appolexy. Since I live 50 miles from town I stopped to get gas and thought I would have to go get a loan to pay for it. I just love all this Hope and Change

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I haven't noticed any price increases at gardening stores in my area:) Tools, seeds and plants have always seemed quite expensive to me, but that's because I have a very low income:unsure:

Reaction score
The prices of African violets are going down here, as for the other plants I'm not even sure. I think it really depends on where you get your stuff, those big chain stores tend to charge you a lot cash for plants. That's why I always liked to go to small nurseries, they tend to charge less for plants.

Reaction score
@firelily99 unfortunately I really only have the choices of Walmart or Lowes. Walmart does not offer nearly as many plants as Lowes does. If I decide to buy anything I just have to grin and bare it. We do have a privately owned nursery but they are more expensive than either Lowes or Walmart.

@Chuck I am with you 100% on this matter. I tend to buy in bulk as well and the prices are steadily creeping or in some cases jumping up there.

@claudine sometimes we just have to decide if it is a necessary or just a want. I know I don't get alot of the beautiful plants that I want because they are not necessary.

@Trellum We only have one small nursery to give Lowes competition and they are actually more expensive than Lowes is. I really wish I had someone that loved plants that I could barter clippings and seeds with. That would be awesome!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems the price increase has hit all areas, not just the gardening supplies.

The cost of food and gas we see all the time going up but things we do not purchase very often we feel it more when we need to replace the idea. It is a challenge to keep a budget with prices increasing so much. Last winter was so cold for so long it has caused the increase in fuel and supplies to be passed down to the consumer, us.

Reaction score
It seems the price increase has hit all areas, not just the gardening supplies.

The cost of food and gas we see all the time going up but things we do not purchase very often we feel it more when we need to replace the idea. It is a challenge to keep a budget with prices increasing so much. Last winter was so cold for so long it has caused the increase in fuel and supplies to be passed down to the consumer, us.

This is so very true Pat. We are on a strict budget and it seems that it keeps getting stricter every day. Our winter was very harsh for us as well and we are not accustomed to that. I am picking up some garden plants today and getting the garden going in full swing this weekend.

Reaction score
@firelily99 unfortunately I really only have the choices of Walmart or Lowes. Walmart does not offer nearly as many plants as Lowes does. If I decide to buy anything I just have to grin and bare it. We do have a privately owned nursery but they are more expensive than either Lowes or Walmart.

@Chuck I am with you 100% on this matter. I tend to buy in bulk as well and the prices are steadily creeping or in some cases jumping up there.

@claudine sometimes we just have to decide if it is a necessary or just a want. I know I don't get alot of the beautiful plants that I want because they are not necessary.

@Trellum We only have one small nursery to give Lowes competition and they are actually more expensive than Lowes is. I really wish I had someone that loved plants that I could barter clippings and seeds with. That would be awesome!

Oh booo! So sorry to hear that, it sucks you guys have not many chances to buy cheap plants. Over here we have many cheap nurseries and the chain stores are the expensive ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In my area, the minimum wage just got passed to 15 dollars an hour and so I am sure I will see prices soar soon enough. I am not happy about this increase because prices on everything are going to go up soon. It is not fair.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@claudine sometimes we just have to decide if it is a necessary or just a want. I know I don't get alot of the beautiful plants that I want because they are not necessary.!
If you want to have them, they are necessary:) I simply can't stop myself when I see a lovely miniature rose at a store. I buy it no matter what. It's not a very reasonable thing to do, but it makes me happy and happy people are the healthiest and the nicest people:D
Yesterday, I received a new rose:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe it is just me but I willl not buy any plant from the Big Box Stores anymore. I have had too many bad experiences with them. A vegetable plant is labeled one thing and ends up all together different. Sweet peppers end up hot, salad tomatoes end up being cherrys, pickling cucumbers end up as slicers canteloupes end up being honey dew melons. I learned that it is actually cheaper in the long run to just buy seeds or plants from a reputable nursury. BBS's never take care of plants like a real nursury does. BBS's may be a little cheaper but I like to know what I am buying and not transport a bunch of bugs into my garden either. Plus BBS plants are full of chemicals and in an organic garden it kind of defeats the purpose.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
How would you feel if you were paying $8.50 per (US) gal for gas/petrol?
That's what we pay in the UK!
Sirloin steak is usually above $50 per kg (approx $24 per pound)
Potatoes around $2 per kilo!

Reaction score
Oh booo! So sorry to hear that, it sucks you guys have not many chances to buy cheap plants. Over here we have many cheap nurseries and the chain stores are the expensive ones.

The chain stores normally run the nurseries out of business here. I did find some discounted plants at Walmart today.

In my area, the minimum wage just got passed to 15 dollars an hour and so I am sure I will see prices soar soon enough. I am not happy about this increase because prices on everything are going to go up soon. It is not fair.

Yes prices will soar with the minimum wage increasing like that. People think it will help them so much but all it does is put a larger yoke on their backs. Higher wages means that everything has to go up in order to cover those higher wages. The big guy is not going to take a killing in their earning department just because its good to help the little guy out........ nope they will raise their prices so they can still afford the luxuries they are accustomed to already.

If you want to have them, they are necessary:) I simply can't stop myself when I see a lovely miniature rose at a store. I buy it no matter what. It's not a very reasonable thing to do, but it makes me happy and happy people are the healthiest and the nicest people:D
Yesterday, I received a new rose:love:

Glad you got yourself some new roses. I am afraid in our situation diapers, gas and food become necessary before other things that we want. It just all depends on a persons situation. Enjoy those roses.

Maybe it is just me but I willl not buy any plant from the Big Box Stores anymore. I have had too many bad experiences with them. A vegetable plant is labeled one thing and ends up all together different. Sweet peppers end up hot, salad tomatoes end up being cherrys, pickling cucumbers end up as slicers canteloupes end up being honey dew melons. I learned that it is actually cheaper in the long run to just buy seeds or plants from a reputable nursury. BBS's never take care of plants like a real nursury does. BBS's may be a little cheaper but I like to know what I am buying and not transport a bunch of bugs into my garden either. Plus BBS plants are full of chemicals and in an organic garden it kind of defeats the purpose.

I did buy some discounted plants from Walmart yesterday. I really should be ashamed of myself for not having seedlings planted during the spring time so that I would not have to buy plants. I need to be more diligent about that.

Sounds expensive. We are fortunate that gas is not over $4 in our area. I got gas for $3.46 per gallon today and in this economy that is considered cheap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How much of that is tax on the gas? Is beef that expensive because cattle aren't raised there? I wonder why the big difference between here and there?

Ask a Question