I'm a newbie in gardening

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
Glad to join this forum. I am new to gardening and have been planting, learning and experimenting in my two small front gardens in the past 2 months with some good results but also some bad outcomes. Overall I am happy with the way my plants are growing while facing some challenges with deer We live in Northern California on the coast (zone 10a). I hope to learn from experienced gardeners here on this forum as I navigate new challenges in gardening! Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome!
Deer do not like strong smells so if you can either plant rosemary in the perimeter of your gardens, or hang garlic cloves in a mesh bag near the foraged plants, it will help. We have deer here in central Texas, and I've found that garlic keeps the cute little critters out of the gardens and away from the fruit trees. Ever tried to hang garlic cloves on a pear tree? Wish I had . . . .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Marlingardener. We do have a rosemary in the garden, however, the deer ate Creeping Jenny and Oxalis in that vicinity. I guess he was hungry. I bought a product called Deer Out, which is organic and made of peppermint, garlic, egg, etc. That seems to be helping in the past couple of days but I'm still cautious since it's only been 3 days of using this product. I'm also spreading my dog's urine by soaking old t-shirt cutout pieces and placing them in the garden, hoping that deer thinks it's predator's. I could try garlic cloves. I'll keep you posted! Thank you :)

Ask a Question