Hi, I'm from the pond forums

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Some of you probably know me from the pond forums, if not, hi, my name is Jules but everyone calls me Phae ("fay"). I have a few projects at the moment, the big one is landscaping the terraces I just finished building (this is earlier, it's further along now, and to answer the inevitable question, no that is not my cat, he's just one of my supervisors):
20200521_185943.jpg

20200522_182824.jpg

But I also have my very first (failure of a) vegetable garden as well:
20200711_081047.jpg

And of course the pond, which is still being plantscaped:
20200615_181408.jpg

315c.jpg

20200711_104006.jpg

As you can see, I'm making the most out of living next to a cliff (cliffs are great quiet neighbors). All my landscaping is on a steep hill, sun rises behind it, sets blazing on everything after around 3PM. The stone work took 2 years, but I finally am at a point where I am close to being able to landscape (I think, holding off because I need steps up to the next level I have not made yet... you can see this is a never-ending project with scope creep). The pond is also new, it went in late last summer. I'm in Springfield Vermont, in Southeastern Vermont, zone 5A, about 500' (I live in the Connecticut River valley).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to ''this bit'' of the forums @Phaewryn :) That looks like a fantastic project you have there - oh to be on a slope. Every garden needs the sound of running/falling water as far as I`m concerned.
I`m afraid I am not all that hot on veggie gardening either - I prefer to grow shrubs and flowers, mind you I try.... occasionally get a few bits right.
Anyway, it`s nice to say hello (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I grow veg but have been dabbling in ponds :D

I'm only dabbling as well. It's also my first pond. A starter pond, if you will. My dad was a professional landscape designer though, and so I had ornamental ponds all around me as a kid, so it's not a totally new concept for me. The pond is an interesting little side hobby, but my heart is in that stonework! I love stone. I can't wait to get pretty things planted cascading over it and in the little nooks and crannies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to ''this bit'' of the forums @Phaewryn :) That looks like a fantastic project you have there - oh to be on a slope. Every garden needs the sound of running/falling water as far as I`m concerned.
The sound of water falling right outside both my bedroom and kitchen windows is wonderful. I wish I could enjoy the view from inside but my windows are not easy to get to to see out (it's a small apartment, there is furniture in front of every window), and my porch has been turned into the world's ugliest catio to keep my housecats safe and on the porch but able to go outside. It's almost impossible to see the pond from the porch through all this kludged together screening:
20171102_160046.jpg

20171102_160001.jpg

It does, however, work, and the cats do love being able to go outside on the porch/stairs. I'm not one to pass up free screens when they are about to go in a dumpster!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In your position with a wonderful scene like the one you have created outside the window, I would chuck out every bit of furniture, at one window at least - just to enjoy it from indoors.

Maybe you could create some kind of shelter next to the pond with a chair and table :unsure: mmmm..... and a cat cage to go in it too (y)

Ask a Question