If you could only plant one....

Reaction score
I will also cast my vote for tomatoes. I love them. They are so versatile. You can eat them raw, put them in a salad, make a sauce from them, etc. etc. My second place vegetable would be cucumbers.

Reaction score
I thought we had a thread like this already, but when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it. Maybe I imagined it, oops.

Anyway, if you could only plant a single kind of plant every year, what would it be?

For me, I think I would have to go with tomatoes. We eat so many of them during the summer and even beyond that, I use a ton for sauces, soups, etc.

Spuds by far and away. I practically live on the things as most Irish will tell you. Those and beer and any kind of meat in any kind of fashion; skip the rabbit food.

Reaction score
Lettuce. I would love eating fresh lettuce as often as I could. I often worry bout pesticides when I eat lettuce, more than with any other vegetable or fruit. It must be great to eat your own organic lettuce completely free from pesticides!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lettuce. I would love eating fresh lettuce as often as I could. I often worry bout pesticides when I eat lettuce, more than with any other vegetable or fruit. It must be great to eat your own organic lettuce completely free from pesticides!
Personally, I don't like leafy greens and I don't eat lettuce often, because in my opinion it's a little bitter and not very tasty. My dog loves it though! It's surprising, isn't it?:p As far as I know, other dogs don't want to eat it.
If I tried to grow lettuce in my garden, he would find it immediately, I'm sure of it:p

Reaction score
If I could only plant once a year, I would have to go with basil. I use basil frequently and I just love the smell and taste of it. I can never get enough basil, so this would really be the best option for me. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If I could only plant once a year, I would have to go with basil. I use basil frequently and I just love the smell and taste of it. I can never get enough basil, so this would really be the best option for me. :)

I use basil almost daily! I love the smell of it and I especially love that mosquitoes do not love the smell and I can get a break from being bitten by rubbing a leaf over my skin! When I harvest basil for cooking I cut a stem, wash the entire thing, a lay it to dry on a napkin. When I'm done taking off leaves, I put the stem in water. I can still use remaining leaves and lately the stems have been sprouting roots!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'd also go with tomatoes. I can eat them every day. They are also one of the easier veggies to preserve during the winter months. I use them not only in my salad but to make salsa, bruschetta, sun dried tomatoes, fried green tomatoes, I pickle them and also make sauce with them.
I also have had some years in which certain veggies didn't grow very well. I've had bad years with broccoli, zucchini and lettuce. However, I've never had a bag year with tomatoes. I think they are one of the easiest plants to grow.

Ask a Question