If you could only plant one....

Reaction score
For me it would also be tomatoes. I just love them and they can be used in so many different ways that they never get old. Whether i am walking in back yard and enjoying a few cherry tomatoes or putting a couple slices on my burger that night i always find myself enjoying them.

Reaction score
I would plant carrots for sure!
I have fond memories of eating carrots straight from my Nana's garden. I would just wipe the dirt off on the grass and eat it bugs bunny style.
My second choice would be rhubarb...because I love rhubarb crisp! :)

Reaction score
I believe I would have to go with tomatoes as well! I always plant more tomatoes than anything else and can or freeze enough to last all year. If I could choose another one, it would definitely be beans. We have had very good luck with beans and have been able to freeze a large supply each year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Peas for me. New potatoes are close, but peas.
The sugar in peas begins to turn to starch the moment they are picked, and that means it is just not possible to get the home-grown taste any other way.

I love that day in May when I have my first peas, lightly steamed (after eating most of them on route to the kitchen) with boiled garden new potatoes, rolled in butter and snipped chives, and lamb cutlets...We need a drool smiley...

Reaction score
Strawberries, hands down. I am so fascinated by them. The kids love them. My goal is to fill up our few acres and have a huge field.

Reaction score
For me it would be cilantro, I cannot cook without it.. it flavors all my dishes and is such a wonderful herb. I grow it all year long.
It also looks beautiful and would make my garden look lush green. I think i would like to have it all over the house in different containers instead of a floral decoration. I really love cilantro.

I'd never grown an herb before this year. I have some lovely basil plants growing, though. And I think I need to try more in the future. Is cilantro easy to grown? As for using it for decorative purposes, I think greens, especially in varying shades, are often as lovely as flowers.

Reaction score
So true! Once they are established you can have them almost forever. Even the ones that are seasonal, like basil, produce enough seeds that you can have new plants coming up before the old ones are done for.

Okay, I just snipped the flowers off the tops of my basil plants...but now I have to go research how to save seeds!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank, Chanell! I must remember that I followed you on Pinterest. Don't seem to get there very often anymore!
Did I follow you back? It's so hard to keep track of who is who on different sites. I really need to make a list - I still haven't finished looking through all of @Shellyann36 's pin boards.

Reaction score
Strawberries, my family can never eat enough of them. I like the way they taste and smell. They make summer so pleasant.

Reaction score
Tomatoes for me! We eat so many of them! They are in all my sauces! Couldn't go wrong with tomatoes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Strawberries, my family can never eat enough of them. I like the way they taste and smell. They make summer so pleasant.

My strawberries didn't survive :) First they were rained out and then, before they could dry out and rebound, the unrelenting sun and heat finished them off. I'd like to try again, but I think that strawberries are going to take special care in my yard. The area I was using just gets way too much sun; I think if I had a green house that I could move the plants to at times where they needed protection they would fare better.

Reaction score
I am sure I have alluded to it, but I would plant squash. I do recall someone saying that was too generic so I will say zuccini based on the yield and all the uses I have found for them. Plus they are a green veggie and good for you.

Reaction score
I would say tomatoes, but I can not eat them anymore:sick: so I would go with broccoli. I use it a lot, and it's loaded with vitamins. But seriously, once crop? I think I'd lose my mind! :eek:

Ask a Question