If you could only plant one....

Reaction score
I thought we had a thread like this already, but when I went looking for it, I couldn't find it. Maybe I imagined it, oops.

Anyway, if you could only plant a single kind of plant every year, what would it be?

For me, I think I would have to go with tomatoes. We eat so many of them during the summer and even beyond that, I use a ton for sauces, soups, etc.

Reaction score
For me it would be cilantro, I cannot cook without it.. it flavors all my dishes and is such a wonderful herb. I grow it all year long.
It also looks beautiful and would make my garden look lush green. I think i would like to have it all over the house in different containers instead of a floral decoration. I really love cilantro.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Definitely tomatoes:D . I just love them the most and I can't imagine my supper without them. Tomato sandwich is so delicious. I love everything about tomatoes: their taste, their smell, I love how they look and that you can add them to so many meals:D

Reaction score
Potatoes. The main reason is that it's the main vegetable I use. I must get through a thousand a year so if there was one thing I could not live without it would be potatoes, clearly I could just buy them in the store but I like to be as self sufficient as possible.

Jed

Reaction score
Same here. I'm a spud grower and use so many a year in most meals. A cheap and healthy form of starch to add to a meal rather than processed starches.
Here's a recent pic of a crop of pinkeye potatoes being hilled up in one of my animal proof garden cages. They're raspberries on the right. But we will have to ignore them.;)
44889_10200309268280679_2089331344_n.jpg

Reaction score
I think tomatoes, as fresh from the vine is unlike any you can buy in the store. I was rather successful last year (first year) but I am hoping that the lessons I learned will help me grow fabulous tomatoes next year!

Reaction score
I think tomatoes, as fresh from the vine is unlike any you can buy in the store. I was rather successful last year (first year) but I am hoping that the lessons I learned will help me grow fabulous tomatoes next year!

I was unsuccessful this year unfortunately, I planted to late in the year, at the end of April :( . Although hopefully the lessons I learned from this season will help me get it right for 2013! I've never been overly keen on tomatoes them self, but would like to make my own ketchup. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
For me it would be basil. I use it a lot, especially in the summer and I love being able to go outside and get it fresh whenever I want. It's so easy to grow, you just plant it and forget it, other than watering. If I am successful growing onions, I may change my mind :)

Reaction score
For me it would be basil. I use it a lot, especially in the summer and I love being able to go outside and get it fresh whenever I want. It's so easy to grow, you just plant it and forget it, other than watering. If I am successful growing onions, I may change my mind :)

I like the low maintenance of herbs, once the initial investment is over, they keep themselves happy, with the occasional watering. With other things there is always that risk of disappointment for the times when you are unsuccessful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I like the low maintenance of herbs, once the initial investment is over, they keep themselves happy, with the occasional watering. With other things there is always that risk of disappointment for the times when you are unsuccessful.

So true! Once they are established you can have them almost forever. Even the ones that are seasonal, like basil, produce enough seeds that you can have new plants coming up before the old ones are done for.

Reaction score
It will have to be tomatoes for me also because my husband might divorce me otherwise. We eat them every single day and we have to buy them from the grocery store during our long Canadian winter. Nothing beats fresh tomatoes and they literally complement every meal. We just cut them up and eat them on the side and supper doesn't seem complete without them.

Reaction score
Tomatoes for sure. We can never have enough of those in our garden. They almost never go to waste. My kids love an opne faced tomato sandwhich durring those warm summer months when they want to eat outside. I also love tomato salads, soups, canning salsa, spaghetti sauce and as many cans of canned tomatoes as I can get in my pantry over the summer. Its hard to go through these cold winters with out having those fresh tomatoes on the vine. The ones at the store just dont compare to what you can grow on your own.

Reaction score
Tomatoes for me too. I love tomatoes in everything salads, salsa, spaghetti sauce ect. I also like them alone with a bit of salt and pepper.

Reaction score
I'd like to plant sweet potatoes. Their leaves and roots are edible and are a good source of carbohydrates.

Ask a Question