Identification required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
i am new on here and need some help to identify this plant I keep trying to grow ,it grows very tall to the ceiling and is like a vine,I thought it was some type of cheese plant or maybe castor oil plant ,I’ve had about 6 leaves over the years which I stand in water to get a good root on them ,however when I transfer to a pot they all die .
thanks in advance dave

Attachments

• 5C8D2A84-774A-44AE-A1E1-EAA374D93A42.jpeg
    5C8D2A84-774A-44AE-A1E1-EAA374D93A42.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 4071DA88-4F65-4A43-9D3E-84940BC0ED54.jpeg
    4071DA88-4F65-4A43-9D3E-84940BC0ED54.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Your post focuses on the plant and the mediums are "water" and "pot". What are you putting into the water? The pot soil is in a bag? That plant stem is obviously very vascular, and in the first pic many "pills" are shown. Are these from a flower shop? Are there visible roots at the time of transplant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This appears to be an evergreen Araliad (Araliaceae), most likely a Japanese Fatsia (Fatsia japonica), native to Japan and South Korea. The leaves look a bit more ruffled than is typical, but there are various cultivars of Fatsia japonica, some with different leaf forms.

Could you post a close-up shot of the roots coming off of the base of a leaf. I'd like to understand the leaf cuttings you refer to better. Are you only using leaves, or is there stem tissue as well?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

This appears to be an evergreen Araliad (Araliaceae), most likely a Japanese Fatsia (Fatsia japonica), native to Japan and South Korea. The leaves look a bit more ruffled than is typical, but there are various cultivars of Fatsia japonica, some with different leaf forms.

Could you post a close-up shot of the roots coming off of the base of a leaf. I'd like to understand the leaf cuttings you refer to better. Are you only using leaves, or is there stem tissue as well?
Hi marck
i cut a leaf off with stalk and place it in water when I get a root ball I put it in a pot with growing compost however they all die on me.this is the latest 1 it has no roots yet.
dave

Attachments

• 0D90F4FF-3F93-4E61-9F52-FB0548EBF81B.jpeg
    0D90F4FF-3F93-4E61-9F52-FB0548EBF81B.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
So do you have a rooted plant, or do you mean you've obtained six leaves to root but they all died?

In the OP, The first photo shows a single leaf in water and the second photo shows a stem with several leaves in water.
Did these both root for you?

It would be interesting to see the plant growing to the ceiling like a vine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So do you have a rooted plant, or do you mean you've obtained six leaves to root but they all died?

In the OP, The first photo shows a single leaf in water and the second photo shows a stem with several leaves in water.
Did these both root for you?

It would be interesting to see the plant growing to the ceiling like a vine.
hi marck
i aquired the stem with the leaves in the second picture of a man who owns the plant i do not have my own rooted plant,the leaf in the first photo i snapped off the stem to try to have 2 chances at growing it.i am not sure what to do with the stem and leaves so have put it into water hoping it might grow that is why i am looking for advice on here how to grow it.
dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
For one thing, you may not realize you are trying to feed that huge leaf with no roots. It woul be useful to decrease the size while new roots were allowed to catch up and become larger, and the plant will grow new leaves when the food becomes available from those new roots.

Ask a Question