Strange insect identification

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have noticed a small insect on my lemon trees ( I think they have infected my trees ) and now I am seeing them on my young apricot tree ( see attached picture )
When you attempt to pinch them with your fingers, they slide around the branch, or stem.
Does anyone have an experience with these pests and how to treat?

Reaction score
Country
United States
C3B9640B-B68E-4FDB-B7F0-DBB82533563C.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting. It looks like a larval or pupal stage of some insect... Those leaves also look atypical for an Apricot (Prunus armeniaca). Would it be possible to get more photos from different angles. Photos of the leaves too, please. Play with the macro and zoom functions on your camera. You may be able to get in very close for a shot. Also, where are you located? That could help narrow the possibilities.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a very common insect in Texas, California, Florida and most of the southern US called a sharpshooter bug. They don't really physically damage a plant but some of them are vectors of serious disease. Pierces disease on grapes and Leaf Scorch on Oleander plants are a couple of the most serious. There are numerous other diseases as well. The best means of control of the insects is a fairly new product called Spinosad Soap. This product is safe for people and pets.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you Chuck. Glassy-winged Sharpshooter (Homalodisca vitripennis). I'm not used to seeing it in profile. Fortunately I haven't encountered it in my garden.

Sandy, the Glassy-winged Sharpshooter is already a widespread pest but it is still expanding it's range. keeping it from establishing in more areas is part of the control stratagy. It would be prudent to notify your local agriculture inspector.

Ask a Question